encoder --> s7-1200

sordfich

hello

i have a hengstler RI58-O/360ES.41KH encoder and i want acurate position info for a production process is there any way to easely decode the encoders signal for use in positioning? i have a siemens S7-1200 system Cpu 1211C DC/DC/DC

greetings sordfich

the informations you have provided are insufficient!

we may be able to help you , if you tell us exactly what kind of encoder is it ? incremental ? absolute ?

what is the system for ? cut to length ? positioning of an indexing table ?

Kyle

its an incremental encoder with 360 pulses.
it needs to work for a carousel ( spinning platform ) so it can cut into a product at an exact moment when the product is in front of it. i already made the basic program so i have a input signal for the encoder but now i need a block to decode the coder so the head knows where the product is.

edit: it has 3 cables the A, B, and the Index cable to be absolute about the position
greetz sordfich

Last edited:
so you are using a quadrature encoder with phase A,B, and Z...and you had them connected to the inputs of the PLC, now you need to count the pulses...go to help files and search for HSC (high speed counter) this counter can count pulses at high speed and use a comparing logic to decide when to stop a motor...etc.

or if this is not a high speed application, use a standard COUNTER to count pulses, look into help files for a counter instruction and learn how it works.

Kyle

ehmm but how do hsc's work? what are the inportant contacts because i am an intern in this company and this is the first time i need to use a hcs's never used one at schoo XD they dont teach you this stuf

edit: yes it is a high speed process so a hcs is needed

Last edited:
whats for what? these hcs's are so confusing. what do they want on what input and where do i put the a-b and index from the encoder?

greetz sordfich

now i got the next problem the encoder i had was broken it dident send any signals whatsoever now i have the problem that i am stuck on something i dont have and have no way of knowing what it dus in acual life. dus anyone have a block for the plc that i can try out on simulation?

greetz sord

new problem! : whats the maximum amount of pulses the second a s7-1200 can count via the high speed counter? because that wil mater what type of new encoder i order and wil somebody react to this topic?

greetz sordfich

what do you think i did mate? if you are doing this for the first time you read everything first but somethings siemens explains are good to understand some things are complete jiberish if you dont know ever single bit of literature. but hey ile just call there tech support. they acualy give me awnsers :)

and the next ting is when you acualy work 8 hours a day as techie for a company you cant devote all your time to reading literature **** still needs to be fixed

Hello Sordfich
System Manual, 07/2011,page 293....
By the way...HSC1 CPU Single phaze 100 KHz Two phaze and AB.. 80 KHz
High-speed SB 200KHz 160KHz
SB 30KHz 20KHz

and so on...

But read it again...there are only 10 pages +- and You will find all Your answers..

hey i finaly got to reading the books but in the 10 pages and any other books i got sent from siemens there arent any awnsers how to get an output out of a HCS. i need an output when the counter hits 180 but where do i get this signal. the reference value is already set to 180 btw.

greetz sordfich

Hi,Sordfich
You need some math. or compare instructions and get output.
I'm not working with siemens but in Unitronics solve that ...
regards