Powerfull Mobile Controller with CAN

moefit

For many years we have been using IFM controllers. To our full satisfaction, I should say!

Currently we use the IFM CR0032 32 bit controller with a small number of I/O, 4 CAN-Busses and a pretty powerfull 32 bit processor (Infineon TriCore 150MHz).

Now we encountered the problem that the max CoDeSys program size is too small for us (limited to 1.25MB), also a more powerful processor would be very useful!

Does anyone have an interesting suggestion for us?

Found so much on internet, but hardly anything useful up to now...

Thanks!

Thanks!

I did not know that it is possible to exclude unused POUs! We did compare code size though, with and without some unused POUs, and we saw no difference. So it seems that this option is active already.

It helps a bit for us, but not much since we use 1 program for the complete series and optional functionality is (de)activated thru settings in the display.

Schneider's M340 has a native CanOpen port
Also as the M340 uses IEC programming language it should not be too hard to adapt your existing software
You will not have any problems with program size - just finished a project using an M340 to control a process plant (at least 40 PID control loops)

GeoffC thanks for your suggestion! Unfortunately it is not suitable for us, only 1 CAN-Bus and certainly not what I consider a mobile PLC.

Just wondering: does it take so much code to have 40 PID control loops? Suppose you use the PID controller as a function block?!

Just wondering: does it take so much code to have 40 PID control loops? Suppose you use the PID controller as a function block?!
Yes I use the standard PID function block inside a defined function block. In fact I use defined function blocks for motor controllers, sequence controllers, analog input scaling conditioning and monitoring, interfacing to weighers, etc etc.
Impressive just how much code and io this plc can handle
The one plc controls the following
- 16 VSDs (ethernet interface)
- 30 DOL starters (profibus)
- 2 larger DOL starters (ethernet)
- 6 racks of IO (ethernet) including lots of control valves
- 6 weighers (ethernet)
- interfaces to 4 other M340s and a SIS (Safety Instrument System) over ethernet

Last edited: