Sending text from micologix 1200

matlark

Looking for help to get a micrologix 1200 to send a text on an alarm signal. The message doesn't have to be complicated... one letter would work.
thanks

Assuming I can get the AWT instruction to work... is there software that I need that will read the string from the plc?

Can I get the micrologix 1200 to send a text file (something small) to the C drive of my desktop?

anybody know what error 05h is in the awt command?

channel 0
source ST9:0
control R6:0
string length 0<
characters sent 0
error 05h

Well actually it is not working how I need it to, but I was able to send the characters "ALARM" to the hyperterminal screen with a particular input on the plc. The original plan was to send the ascii string to hyperterminal, from there save to a .txt file then have a script that tests the file size and if the file increases in size (indicates an alarm) send out an email.

Problem I am running into is hyperterminal doesn't seem to send the .txt file until you physically stop the "text capture" option. So if an alarm condition happened with the plc it would show up on the hyperterminal screen but won't write to .txt file unless someone is there to stop the capture (for my app...defeats the purpose of not having someone there). Any suggestions are welcome.

Is the NET-ENI an additional module for the micrologix 1200? Purchasing an expensive piece of equipment for this application is not an option unfortunately.

Check the assumptions

There are certainly hardware devices that will do this function in a reliable and compact way, as well as sophisticated HMI software that will also it it for you.

But it sounds like the budget is constrained, so your tools are the MicroLogix 1200 controller and a desktop PC that's connected to the controller (via the serial port). The desktop PC is connected to your corporate network, which includes an e-mail server.

I would go after this application with a command-line e-mail client and the Windows "SerialKeys" feature.

The MicroLogix will send a couple of lines of text to the serial port of the PC, the SerialKeys feature will feed those characters to the e-mail client, and the e-mail client will send the message to the e-mail server.

Start by downloading a command-line e-mail client.

I would use SendEMail:

http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

You might need some help from your IT department to get this configured to work with the company e-mail system. Here on the Forum we have plenty of folks familiar with the MicroLogix ASCII instruction set.

In case anyone wants this info...Found an application that will take the output rs232 from the micrologix 1200 and log it directly to a .txt file (Hercules setup utility). Can write a batch script that tests the file size and send email when file size increases.