RSLogix5000 Importing Rungs Containing UDT

99bobster99

Hello,

I have a UDT in my main RSLogix5000 program called "Servo", it consists of the following;

Servo
Axis01

I have an L5X (rung export) file that contains rungs of code that reference the above UDT "Servo/Axis01" tags.

I would like to import the above L5X file into my main program, put have the imported rungs reference a new UDT called "Servo/Axis02" and still keep the same tag descriptors that were for all of the Axis01 tags.

Here is what I have already tried;

- copied the existing "Servo/Axis01" UDT to a new one named "Servo/Axis02". Tried importing the L5X file selecting the "Servo/Axis02" instead of the default "Servo/Axis01" tag. It let me import it but all my descriptions were blank for all of the "Servo/Axis02" tags.

- I then tried opening the L5X file and replaced all occurences of "Axis01" to "Axis02". I had the same result, all the descriptions were blank for Axis02 after the import.

I am using RSLogix5000 v16 and need to keep it at this version due to having to maintain compatibility with customers. I know that in v17 there is the "Partial Import/Export" functionality that would work in this case. Is there a way to accomplish this in v16, relatively painlessly? I already hate asking our customers to modify the L5X file with Notepad.

Many thanks in advance!

I am hoping someone can help with this quick, I am onsite at a customer installation and need to get this figured out as quickly as possible. Help! I'm sure most of you have been in this situation before. o_O

I have something that seems to work. Here is what I did, please let me know if there is a less intrusive way of doing it;

- export all tags to an L5X file
- edit this L5X, deleting everything except "Servo/Axis01"
- rename all occurences of "Axis01" to "Axis02"
- import this editted L5X file

All my "Servo/Axis02" tags now have the same generic descriptors as Axis01 does.

Seems like a pain in the you know what in order to accomplish this!! Maybe this is why they added the "Partial Import" function into v17??

Any other ideas for v16?

Last edited:
You're right on it.

I did a UDT-intensive set of upgrades last year that had both v16 and v17 controllers, and used your approach for the v16's. The V17's we were actually able to do online (it was process control, not motion) because of the Partial Import mechanism.

I thought that there might be an easier way to do this. Our customer is not very computer savy, so the more he tinkers with the more that will need my support. :)

If anyone else has run across this challenge and knows of a cleaner way to accomplish this, please reply.