Scadapak 32P Digital output wiring please help.

diginewbee

Supporting Member
Started my first Scada and controls job this week. I am reviewing drawings for a gas valve automation project. There is three valves to automate. The RTU is a ScadaPak32 with 5401 expansion cards. Two valves SOV's are wired to the 5232 controller and the third is on the 5401 DO. I am stuck on how the Digital Outputs should be wired. The 5401 has one positive and one negative terminals per channel. The drawing shows the 5401 DO + output connected to the positive SOV. The negative DO terminal is connected to the SOV negative. The SOV positives terminals are jumpered together at the external terminal block and connected to a 24 DC source that also powers the controller and expansion cards. The cards input output switch is set to close/output for the channel.
The 5232 handles the other two valves and it shows the DO outputs to negative SOV terminals. The DO gnd is connected to the source gnd. The positive DC at the terminal block is again jumpered to all SOV positives and back to source.

I am seeing pos to pos with jumpers and neg to neg on one drawing. Then what appears to be positive DO output to negative SOV connections and Positive SOV connections connected in parallel to a DC source. The 5232 P7 gnd is connected to ground. I have 200 miles to drive to go home this weekend and I can't until this is finished. I don't want to screw up this first assignment. I have only been there a week. How should the ouputs be wired to the SOV positive and negative. Please Help!

Last edited:
hope the drawings come through

These are that I have electronicaly. All three valves connect the same way. The 5232 drawing I think is correct please advise. The drawing for the mainline valve receives the digital output from the 5232. My biggest concern is the drawing for the valve 2 to the 4501. On my hardcopy I am redrawing terminations 15 on down. For the digital outputs I moved SOV2-O+ to terminal 27. It is now connected to DO-50+. I moved SOV2-O- to terminal 28 it is connected to DO-50-. I did the same with SOV2. DO-52- lights a lamp on the valve control panel. I left it alone. He had the positive jumpered from TB 25 to the positives for DO 50, 51,52.

See picture below for the 5401 typical wiring. Make sure you have the correct output modules installed in the cadr and that the dip switches are set correctly.

Tell us more about the controller , do you have a 5604/5601 attached to it ( on top)?

Note: channel 2 and 6 are typical output wiring.

typicalwiring5401.png

Last edited:
The 5401 address is 1 and the DIP address is set as follows, close on 1 and open on two and four. All of the I/O switches are set to close/output. My Adobe Acrobat is suddenly failing and won't open the document but yes the controller is sitting on top of the 5604 I/O module. P_6 and P7 are programmed output with the remaining two terminals gnd. P8 and P9 are programmed DI. The outputs are all wired directly to negative side of the SOV. The positive side of the SOV returns to the DC positive source. Grounds are connect to the source DC negative. This covers two valves. The third valves DO requirements use the 5401 and it appears to be wired diffently