FactoryTalk ME XML Editing?

shoelesscraig

Is it possible to export a FactoryTalk ME display to an XML file and make edits from there? Then export it back into the application?

I see how to export it as XML, but when I try to open it in Excel, it asks me "how I would like to open this file?". When I choose "XML Table" it gives me a message saying that "There is a problem with the specified XML or schema source". It says "press ok to have Excel create a schema based on the XML source data". When I do that, it tells me that the "number of elements exceeds the number of columns available".

So basically, I'm lost. I've got a screen that was created by someone else that I would like to edit. It has dozens and dozens of multistate indicators on it that need to have all sorts of edits done (adding multiple states to each one, changing around all of the colors and tags, etc.). I can do it all by hand, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do this in another program to make it much easier...?

Definitely

Others may have methods of getting it to work in excel - I do not. All too hard

I use XML Notepad to find the correct multistate and then copy just the multistate into excel to do the edit

When reversing the process I use plain notepad to cut and paste as I have had the xml notepad crash on me too often

There are probably much better ways to manipulate xml. I would like to hear of some.

Just been looking on wiki at xml editors - xml notepad is so old the next time that I do this I will have another look for some good software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_editors

I think that a textual XML Editor is the way to go as a WYSIWYG or graphical editor may corrupt the xml so it cannot be reimported into Factory Talk ME

Last edited:
I've made extensive use of both UltraEdit and Notepad++ both in general hex and text editing and when I've needed to browse and edit XML files.

http://www.ultraedit.com/support/tutorials_power_tips/ultraedit/parsing_xml_files.html

http://www.rhyous.com/2010/06/03/notepad-and-the-xml-tools-plugin/

I haven't specifically done a lot of FTView ME display editing, but these are the tools I would reach for if I did.

Edit: to avoid being one of those "I haven't tried it but it looks good" guys, I did some quick test exports/imports with FTView ME 6.00.00 and Notepad++, without even using the XML Tools plugin.

Just the structured display and simple search-replace went fast and easy. You definitely need to know the meaning of all the elements of your objects, but it's so easy to export, edit, and import right over the existing Display that I may use this method to do bulk editing all the time in the future.

Notepad++ is my default editor just for quick text documents because it's so straightforward and lightweight. I can't seem to get MS-Word to stop trying to give me formatted colors and types and headings and lists... but Notepad++ will just do what I tell it to.

Last edited:
Having used a few xml editors, I have never come across any corruption issues when working in WYSIWYG mode, i remember when working with dreamwaever resorting to note pad quite, as dreamweaver was always corrupting or inflating the code.
There's quite a few free xml editors about or if you want a good commercial one, Liquid XML Editor is not bad or xmlfox if you are mac based.

The Microsoft XML Notepad is a free download that makes editing .xml files easy.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=7973

Manually enter one trigger and one message in the ME Alarm Setup and then export to a .xml file.

Open the file in XML Notepad.

You can copy and paste your triggers and messages, increment the labels and associated triggers in the message fields and import the .xml back into your ME Alarm Setup.