AB Compact Logix L35: IP Address

randheerp

There is a AB Compact Logix L35 PLC in a plant, but the plant people don't know its configured IP address. I want to connect my laptop to this PC and want to take a backup of the PLC program.

To connect Laptop to PLC itself need the existing(unknown) IP Address.

Is there any way to find the IP address of the PLC?

Is the L35 actually on an EtherNet network ?, or is the port free ?

You can connect with a serial cable and AB-DF1 driver in RSLinx. From there you can get at the EtherNet port configuration to see the IP Address and the SubNet mask. Set your laptop to the same SubNet mask, and a different IP in the same SubNet, and you can then go online with the EtherNet/IP driver.

Alternatively, you can use a network analyser program (eg. WireShark), to listen to the network data. This is most successful if there is only the laptop and the L35 on the network. You will see originating messages from the L35, but you will have to have a guess the SubNet mask.

Hi Daba,

There is PLC, HMIs, PCs etc... all connected to a HUB. So I can connect my Laptop to this HUB. So in this case...

I'm not an expert in networking.

What he said...

Connect serially. Get the ip info that you need. Connect your computer to the switch (hub). Be sure to configure your computer to the same subnet and an otherwise unused ip address. If you just enter any ip address under that subnet then you could be stealing an ip from another piece of equipment.

Is the L35 actually on an EtherNet network ?, or is the port free ?

You can connect with a serial cable and AB-DF1 driver in RSLinx. From there you can get at the EtherNet port configuration to see the IP Address and the SubNet mask. Set your laptop to the same SubNet mask, and a different IP in the same SubNet, and you can then go online with the EtherNet/IP driver.

Alternatively, you can use a network analyser program (eg. WireShark), to listen to the network data. This is most successful if there is only the laptop and the L35 on the network. You will see originating messages from the L35, but you will have to have a guess the SubNet mask.