Dint/Real Calculations

I have a Value that is a MD1000 i.e Dint. I want to divide this value by 2. the MD1000 value may be any integer between 1 and 600. However when i divide a random value by 2 e.g 245/2 = 112.5. however i dont get the decimal of 0.5 i only get a whole number of 112 or 113. is there any way of including the decimal point in the division calculation?

Dividing by 2 is integer division - you won't get a fraction with integer division. Try multiplying by .5 to force a floating point computation. Make sure the destination address is a floating point type.

If your distination is in the form of a real then the answer will be a real. I checked this on a 5000 platform.
Divided Source A: 245(DINT) by 2. Destination: 122.5 (REAL)

I am using a Siemens S71200 PLC. I am wondering if i used a Convert Block to change the MD1000 Dint to a real and then divide by 2?

as the values are double integers i am not sure if the MUL block will allow a 0.5 input as you must select the data type on the block itself

Thanks for the reply

It depends on the system you're working in.

In ControlLogix, the destination data type determines how the calculation is done.

In other systems, you might have to convert your Dint to a Real, then do a Real divide using a Real constant of 2.0 into a Real destination.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure that Siemens is one of those that forces data types to match before you do an operation. So convert to real, then divide.