RS5000, Paste Tags?

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
I have been making some changes to an existing system, adding tags & code in a copy of the project.
I then went to copy the new Tags into the online project & the Paste option would not allow me to do so.

Is there a correct procedure for doing this, or do I have to create them again manually (if I do it whilst online).
I could download, but need to organise a production break to do this..

Hi Lostcontrol
I tried to do this with emulator. I have a program running in the emulator then opened another offline file tried to copy and paste tags into running processor. No Go. Tried emulator in program mode. No Go. Went offline with emulator copied new tags, pasted, selected go online, prompt to download. Worked Fine. Looks like you will have to go offline to do this. One other thought/suggestion if you have many tags export offline tags to CSV format. Edit spreadsheet removing existing tags (or leave alone if you want all in processor updated) then go offline, select Tools, Import, Tags and logic comments and do a one shot import. I use this often for devlopement as I find it much more efficient to create and document tags in excel

Hope this helps?

Which version of rs5000 are you using?

If V19 then there is a way to import a routine/ program/ task to the online program without a download

More when we know what version.

MichaelG, I see what you mean my sample is V19. I created a new routine offline then exported to an L5x. then imported into the running app. Did not realize you could do that. Guess as long as one is careful this is a nice feature. I know I didn't ask the inital question but, Thanks for getting me thinking.

Here is the way I usually do this...

Write new code in an offline session of RSLogix5000. When I'm ready to "go live" I copy the rungs, and paste them into an online session of RSLogix5000. If the changes involve new tags, the rungs will have 'eee' instead of 'iii' in the left margin. I then right click on each new tag reference and select "new" to create the new tags picking the correct type and scope. Once all the rungs have 'iii' I accept the rungs.

If you are replacing existing rungs, mark the existing rungs for deletion before accepting the new rungs.

Yes, technically you are creating the tags again in the online copy, but it's relatively painless. Pasting into the tag editor is for some reason not allowed, beats me why.

You can add the tags by hand in the tag editor before pasting your rungs, but it requires re-typing the tagnames with chance for errors.