VPN CompactLogix error

GSS

Using LogMeIn on shop PC as VPN Gateway and remote PC as client. Gateway PC has CPX connected by crossover E-Net cable. Cable is proven, local ( Gateway ) can ping the CPX. Can ping Gateway PC and Ethernet port that CPX is connected to via remote PC but cannot ping CPX.

Setup as follows:
Gateway Ethernet port
IP 11.24.19.60
Subenet 255.255.0.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1 ( wireless Router )
Primary DNS 192.168.0.1

CPX IP 11.24.19.100
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

Haven't entered DNS into CPX. Firewall on / off doesn't matter.

Any clue's ??

Is LogMeIn genuinely acting as a VPN network connection ? I have always thought of it strictly as a Remote Desktop product.

Which variation of LogMeIn are you using; Pro ? Free ? Hamachi ?

On your "remote" PC, open the CMD prompt and do "IPCONFIG /ALL". Unless LogMeIn has placed a virtual NIC card into this list, then it probably isn't really providing VPN services.

Is the shop PC connected to the network over WiFi, or is it just coincidental that the connection to the Internet is also a WiFi access point ?

Using LogMeIn Central. Have VPN "virtual" card in place. Shop PC is also wireless in this case through a Mobile Hotspot.

Gateway PC is pingable as well as the ethernet port on that PC. Can do file sharing, printing, etc. I don't want to install RsLinx on the Gateway PC. I have read numerous posts about this being done but no body disloses a tutorial or the key points. Very secretive !!

IP address and gateway address must be on the same subnet without any exceptions, so this setup will not work. You must have a local gateway address in 11.24.x.x range

Sounds like you are using Hamachi?

This is a common problem and has to do with your windows routing table and other network interfaces both physical and virtual.

You will need to adjust the metric in microsoft speak or the priority of your hamachi adaptor. The lower the number the higher the priority.

Use the route print and the route change command to do this from command prompt or through windows like this.

First opena comand prompt go to run and type cmd

the type in this command netstat -rn |more

This will list all your connections and there priority

The list only populates so far so fron the netstat command you may have to hit enter for more severla times to get back to your prompt

To change the priority type in ncpa.cpl

Find the connection that connects you to the net and change its priority by right clicking on it and chose properties

Then choosr IPV4 as I doubt you're using V6 when IPV4 is highlighted click the properties button

Then click the advanced button from the bottom

Uncheck the automatic metric box and put in the priority number you want msot likely higher than 1 as 1 should be for your loopback adaptor.

I always like to finish this off with a reboot

Added gateway of 11.24.19.0 to the 10/100 connection and configured CPX for the same. Also tried adding DNS of the wireless connection 192.168.0.1

Reorganized connections as PLC Kid recommended.

Can still ping the 10/100 connection but not the processor connected to it ! Any further ideas ?

Can you make a simple drawing of this network in MS paint or something to make things more clear?

Do you have a LMI Hamachi network setup or do you have Logmein free or pro Installed on this shop pc? It makes a big difference.

If you are using logmein free or pro installed on the shop pc then you do not have a vpn connection in the way you think.

Gateway Ethernet port
IP 11.24.19.60
Subenet 255.255.0.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1 ( wireless Router )
Primary DNS 192.168.0.1

CPX IP 11.24.19.100
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

Your gateway ip address makes no sense.This could only work if 192.168.0.1 is the WAN of the router and it sits behind another network and not directly connected tot he internet.

Make us a drawing with router name/model and evertying on the network as well as how it connects tot he internet.

With this information we can help.

As was said in post # 4 the config you have will not work unless you have a routed vlan or something far more advanced in that router ( Which I doubt).

I have LogMeIn Central. Hamachi tech support got me up and running as far as getting to the NIC of the gateway computer. Thought from there the ENBT module would just need correct configuration.

I can configure the ENBT /A, the Sprint Hotspot, the NIC of the gateway computer, etc.

I can also take sanpshots of the configuration of each as it is if necessary. It does ping from the client to the NIC as is.

Attached is the scenario I'm trying to get working.

scan.jpg

Compactlogix ehtenrnet module firmware checks IP/Gateway configuration combination and will not accept with invalid setup that you have.

in your case compactlogix gatway address will be local wired IP of you laptop server that must be in 11.24.x.x range

EDIT, change Compactlogix gateway address to 11.24.19.10

Last edited:
What is the IP address of the wireless NIC on the remote PC?

What is the wireless IP address of the wireless NIC on the gateway PC?

What is the IP address of the remote PC's wifi hotspot?

Apply these to your drawing. Just like building controls always make a print/diagram before you start networking. Work it out on paper first makes life much easier.

You have the gateway pc shown as a wireless connection to the wifi hotspot but it looks like the client has a cable to the hot spot?

Will the hot spot do wired and wireless or only wired?

Revised "Map" and both hotspots are wireless only. Hotspot on gateway side is configurable. Client side not.

Project Map.jpg