Toshiba EX28B programming

n8sot

Help!!!
Ive got a Toshiba EX28B PLC. Ive tried making a cable and going thru a rs232/422 converter to communicate with the PLC....No luck. Does anybody have the programming cable and programmer for this PLC?? Can I ship this to somebody and have them print the program out for me so I can copy the code into a new PLC????
Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum!

Would you please post a picture of the unit and the exact model? Also post the exact details of the RS232/422 converter with a picture. Close-up pictures of the terminals would also help. I may be able to help you with enough info for you to get the program off the plc.

Edit:
Here is a link of how to build a converter that works for connecting to the programmer port.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=50546

Last edited:
Please dont get offended as I ask for more details. There does not appear to be enough info to see the cabling in the pics. Pinouts of the cable between the converter and the plc (to and from) is very important. Without a RS422 port on the PLC like the Model EX14B has, I really dont yet have it in my mind how you are connecting the cables.

Edit:
Dont make a common mistake most do in thinking the Programmer port is Ethernet just because the connector (RJ-45) is the same. It is completely different.

Last edited:
Toshiba EX28B PLC

No problem!
Ive unwired the converter. somebody else tried playing with it.....not sure what they had.
I can make up any wire configuration for it.

I dont think the converter you are trying to use will work. Here is a link from the same company of the right type of converter.
Link:
http://www.serialcomm.com/serial_rs232_converters/rs232_rs485_to_ttl_converters.aspx

This is the type and model.
RS232 to 5V TTL Converter
Model: TTL-232-5P
or
Model: TTL-232-5IE

Click on the link I posted in Post # 2, go to post #15 in that thread for a drawing to figure the connections. I will be glad to help you sort them out if need be. Here are my suggestions.
For the TTL side going to the RJ45 connector, you will only need to use pin 5 for the ground , pin 4 to the Tx, and pin 3 to Rx. It is possible that you may need to swap the leads (polarity) of the Tx and Rx , depending on how the TTL-232-5V is wired.

Edit:
For more info on the chip used in the diagram shown in post #15 from the link in post #2, here is a link. A MAX232 chip by Maxim is a direct replacement for the LT1081 shown in the drawing.
Link:
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX220-MAX249.pdf
See figure 5 on page 17.

Last edited:
Toshiba EX28B PLC

Thanks alot!!! I ordered the ttl converter. That would explain alot!!
I'll let you know in a few days how it goes.
Thanks again!!

Glad to help. If you need more info in a few days just let me know. Send me a Private Message, it will email a notification to me. Since you may not know, the Private Message Button is up toward the top right side of most screens.

Years ago when I was programming these PLCs I made some notes to keep from having to dig out the manual everytime. The notes were for the CH D100 series which is the same as the toshiba EX20/40 series. See the attached file for the notes.

Good notes!!
Pretty much did all that, but still lost or wiped out the program from the toshiba. The machine its on is DOA!!!
So.....when were you planning on visiting Michigan!!!????

I cant go to Michigan, besides, too cold this time of year. If I can help via the website, just ask, I'm here on the forum most every day.