Stepper Motor Driver Vs. Solid State Relays

ming0521

What are the pros and cons of using stepper motor driver over SSRs in running a typical stepper motor?

Thanks! =))

SSR's are the wrong choice for many reasons.
They weren't built for stepper motors.
Large, expensive, slow.
I'm a bit surprised. Why would you even consider SSR's as a choice?

A Stepper driver is controlling the current and not the Voltage.
An SSR is just On/off however cheaper and yes it works but you can not get the max out of the motor like stepping speed and torque.

i am planning to use SSR, since it's just a training module / trainer, it's for my thesis... But i already have both, so my team mates decided to use both as control modes in running the stepper motor... but we need to make a comparison... our plc is siemens S7200 CPU 212, we alredy have a program for SSR, but none for stepper motor yet..