panelview plus 1000 help

kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys.

So I have set up communications properly and everything is fine except for one thing.

I downloaded an application to the pv+ yesterday and it worked fine. I made modifications to the application and downloaded it again and the same initial application I downloaded yesterday is sort of stuck there. What's up with this?

I have tried everything except resetting the terminal. I deleted all applications I downloaded to the pv+ and I also tried renaming the MER file. I know there is something small I am not doing. I need to be able to use my modified application soon.

Any suggestions?

yes you have to name it the same to replace the old one or go to the pv configuration to tell it to load the new file name

There are a handful of things to get clear:

0. The PV+ terminal needs to "Load" a *.MER file from storage into RAM before it can run it. This is the F1 button on the Configuration screen. Understand the way the F1 "Load Application" and F2 "Run Application" buttons work, before you do anything else.

1. The PV+ terminal can store many *.MER files, and it can store them in two (or more !) different places: onboard memory, and removable memory. The usual locations are "Internal Storage", aka "\Storage Card", and "Removable Storage", aka "\Storage Card2".

When you use the FTView Transfer Utility or the Delete Files feature in the PV+, make sure you know which Storage location you are pointing to.

2. The PanelView Plus terminal remembers which Runtime file was last run, and tries to run that *.MER file at startup. The problem is that the terminal's memory of the "last run" file is a little sketchy: it turns out that it really remembers "the last file that was running when the terminal went from Run mode to Config mode". It's not "the last file that was running when power was removed".

My policy is to create a "Go To Configure Mode" button and use it at least once, to cement in the terminal's memory which *.MER ran last.

In my experience, using the Transfer Utility and specifying "Restart after download completes" also makes the terminal correctly open the *.MER I intend it to.

Issue #2 was an old PV+/Windows CE issue that I slogged through in the original PV+ releases, and it is entirely possible that it was fixed in v6, or even in v5 and I don't know it because the workarounds I used are my standard procedures.