AC Prox into smart relay

dleakey

I am trying to interface a 2 wire turck prox into a schneider smart relay. I have a schneider SR2A201FU and a turck BI2G12AZ33XB3131.

When I connect the prox correctly to the input, the input stays on all the time. The prox does function properly, as I have connected it to a relay and it switches as it should. I have used the search and found other people with similar issues. The replies have been basically to connect a resistor in parallel with the input load and it should take care of the problem. This apparently reduces the voltage at off state.

I have tried this with both a 100K and a 220K 2W resistors. Neither configuration gave any change.My controller is guaranteed off below 40 VAC and on above 79 VAC. I have other specs if they are needed. Can someone help me spec a resistor that will help, or tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

Dustin

The replies have been basically to connect a resistor in parallel with the input load and it should take care of the problem. This apparently reduces the voltage at off state.
Dustin,

Your description of the Pull-Down Shunt Resistor Fix could mean that you are connecting the resistor in parallel with the prox switch (the input load). I think the resistor needs to be in parallel with the Smart Relay input terminals, so the the "off-state" leakage current through the Smart Relay input is reduced (shunted) to cause the input to turn off.

See this previous picture posted by Milldrone.

Two Wire Prox Pull-Down Resistor Fix.jpg

40VAC / .005A = 8KOhm

You must be below this value to get less than 40 VAC at the input.

Since I don't know the relay input current at 40vac, I'm not taking any credit for it. Whatever it is, it would tend to raise the allowable resistance.

But if you use a 5KOhm resistor, you can be certain it will work. Maximum voltage = .005A * 5KOhm = 25VAC. Power = .005A * .005A * 5KOhm = .125W which isn't much power to worry about.

I see where you got your answer mellis; you screwed up, you trusted my numbers. :p

I didn't give the whole story. If I recall the spec it's 5mA minimum (load current) in the ON state and 1.7mA maximum (leakage current) in the OFF state.

I think either of our answers would actually work.

So, if we go with my 10K we should never see higher than 17V when off. I was a little concerned with the wattage of the resistor if I went much lower. 10K 2W should be okay. I think if he went with 5K, he would need to bump that up to a 5W.

Anyway, anything greater than 24K and the switch doesn't have enough current to operate properly. Which is what I think the OP's problem was.

Last edited:
But if you use a 5 KOhm resistor, you can be certain it will work.
Except if you "connect a resistor in parallel with the input load". Then whether or not it works depends on the internal off-resistance of the prox switch, which could be 100 kOhms. If it is, then you have not changed anything.

On the other hand, if you connect a resistor between COM and the Smart Relay input terminal, then the 5 kOhm should work.

Yes, you need to size your resistor wattage, for when the output is on, and you have a full 120V applied to it. At 5K ohm, 2.4W a 5W resistor will still get plenty warm.

Thank you all for the help. I am connecting the resistor in parallel with the load (between common and the input terminal). I had actually used the referenced picture to verify already. I will pick up a couple more resistors on Monday and see if it helps anything.

Thanks
Dustin