Wy OT: Security Lights

The Plc Kid

I am helping my uncle remodel a new building as he is going out on his own. He is a doctor that was in a group center.

The building hge purchased used to setup to be 4 suites and has been remodeled to be 1 facility mostly inside stuff.

There a 4 exterior doors and a light switch at each to control the security lights at each section.

We want to be able to control them all from 1 place on a 7 day timer.The walls have spray in foam insulaton so it will be tough to run new wiring.

Is there a x10 switch / module that can replace the light switch so they can not be turned on or off by the switch but only by the timer? I have seen lots of x10 and insteon stuff but never had the chance to use it.

Also does anyone now of a daily or 7 day timer that has a web browser? Something that can be managed over the network / LAN?

I have been doing some searching but "I got nuthin"

Can't help you on the X10 stuff but I know that the day I removed a timer system for some exterior lights and replaced it with a day/night sensor was a very good day.

Shawn

Is there a x10 switch / module that can replace the light switch so they can not be turned on or off by the switch but only by the timer? I have seen lots of x10 and insteon stuff but never had the chance to use it.
The X10 Mini-Timer (along with four X10 Wall Switch modules) would do the job. X10 also has programmer kits to allow development of control interfaces with other devices.
http://www.x10minitimer.com/

Also does anyone now of a daily or 7 day timer that has a web browser? Something that can be managed over the network / LAN?
The X10 Firecracker Computer Interface plugs into a computer serial port and controls the X10 Wireless Interface, which then allows control of all X10 devices in the building.
http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_cm17a.htm

Also check out X10 Active Home Pro automation software for USB computer connections to the X10 modules.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/sw31a_activehome_hmp.html#

Last edited:
Kid

If you can
run all exterior lighting off lite sensors. Do NOT use sensors in the light fixture. Mount two and use relay control to turn on lights. Put in manual override test switch.

This way you can mount sensors where they are easy to change and easy to monitor, AND out of the weather.

Real fun changing about 20 sensors in winter with icycles falling off my nose, 25 feet up in bucket truck and wind blowing 35 or 40.

Dan Bentler

@ Lancie

Lancie all the X10 wall switch models I found look like a regular light switch. Does the manual switch position overide the auto control or the reverse?

I am just worried about little billy running around the waiting room and turning off the security light switch.

@Dan

Dan if I have to hardwire I have to break sheet rock and other things but where is a good location to mount sensors. This building is built like residential on the outside so in the eaves of the room maybe or did you have something else in mind?

Why the preference for light sensors over a timer? I was thinking the timer would be less likely to fail as all components would be indoors?

Kid
Know all about breaking sheet rock and wiring. Have not had the fun of dealing with foamed insulation - mmm oh boy that sounds like fun.

Under eave then you have to choose east or west (early on or early off). Should be fairly dry so should have good life and not in direct sunlight. I like sensors because you do not have to reset the time every month or week or so depending on how picky management is. Also other people start fooling around with them.
On other hand timers mounted indoor seem to run almost forever.

Some people like Ford some Chevy. Myself Dodge.

Dan Bentler

Astronomic Time Switch

How about an astronomic timer? Works better than photocells (they tend to go bad or get less sensitive to light), and easy to retrofit. Only problem might be that a kid could go playing with it, but you can install a tamper cover over it, loo for the kind that usually go over thermostats.
You program in your Lat/Long, current time, and any on or off offset you want, and it keeps track of the sunrise/sunset each day and switches the lights accordingly. You can also set the lights to turn off XX hours after sunset if you don't want them running all night.

http://www.intermatic.com/Products/Timers/InWallTimers/Electronic_Timers/EJ500C.aspx

http://www.intermatic.com/Products/Timers/InWallTimers/Electronic_Timers/EI600Series.aspx

Astro timer would be ideal. Now you have all advantages of timer and photo cells. In addition you can turn lites off at midnite or whenever - forgot about that

Dan Bentler

To add the timer and controls will be located in a utility room which has the servers and switch for the building as well as the telephone and alarm system.

Locked away and only my uncle (owner) and I have access to it.