RSLinx upgrade EDS files

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am running version 2.57, and just downloaded 2.59.

When I upgrade, I normally get to the part where we update EDS files, then I go in and add a bunch of devices to the choices and it takes quite a long time to complete.

What would happen if I unchecked a bunch of the old stuff I already have installed? Will the EDS files already registered still be there?

I suspect the answer is yes, but I am not sure, so a confirmation would be nice.

Thanks,
Paul

You are correct; the previously-registered EDS files will remain registered.

I generally just omit the AC Drives and the ControlNet section and install the rest of the general hardware for DeviceNet and EtherNet/IP, to make the installation go faster.

When I work on a drive, I create or download an EDS on the spot. When I work on ControlNet it's usually a small number of devices for a Redundancy system, so I can get the EDS files off the server for those.