P&ID . Help for an interview

bornwild

Hello

I just received a call for an interview .I am just a fresher with two years of xp. My work mostly revolves around automation not much of instrumentation. Anyways they need a fresher for their company. First thing I was asked is Do you know how to read P n I diagarms Actually I just know some basics.But is it that hard or say important. Could this be learnt 2 3 days time since I have interview coming up .Please advice. What sort of questions can I expect.? Just googling and try to read every damn book on P and I lol.

I'm not an expert, but I suggest you to learn and memorize the most common symbols and to try to understand a few basic examples you can find on internet.

The P n I diagram is very important for design work in instrumentation. With a properly developed PnI you have probably 85% of the design requirements for each instrumentation loop. It tells you what you are measuring or controlling from the tag number, whether the instrument is in the field or a control center etc, whether the loop is say electronic or pneumatic, whether it PLC / DCS connected, line size and probable control valve body size, and more. So you should get to know your plant PnI diagrams well. In addition you should be familiar with your instrument index and your engineering standards for your factory.

"It's "P&I". "Process and Instrumentation". (add the "D" if you want.)"

I new that PnI was the wrong term but did not initially want to be too picky but as you brought it up it depends upon which part of the World you live in and which organisation / company in which you work. I have seen ELD (Engineering Line Diagram), PEF(Process Engineering Flowscheme) and of course P & ID. Not everyone uses the ISA standards.