Panelview Plus 1500 Slow Block Transfers

dabomb4097

I replaced a PanelView 1400 with a PanelView Plus 1500 in a PLC5/30 system using RIO Scanner.

I have two block transfer writes to send data to the PV, and there is quite a long delay between when the panel gets new data; and occasionally the BTW's time out and have to be reset. The old 1400 updated almost immediately and never timed out for the same block transfer size.

Is there some way to further optimize block transfer data to newer PV's? Or did I miss something? I found a few other threads of people complaining about this, but nobody had a solution besides "Don't use RIO" and I really can't upgrade the system to run Ethernet or something else.

Last edited:
I had a Panelview Plus 1000 and have a Panelview Plus 1500 both on Remote IO talking to SLC504 Processors. These were installed to replace Panelview 900s. It is not great to read advice saying that the best way to deal with remote IO and a PV+ is to simply avoid it... it is not always easily avoided when a company does not want to cough up the $$ to upgrade the PLC as well.

I found that the BTR / BTW programming that suited the PV900 did not suit the remote IO comms adaptor on the PV+. I had to rewrite the block transfers as per the BTs in the 1747-SN manual. I also recall something about having to swap the wiring on the remote IO plug itself to get the RIO adaptor healthy on the network.

The remote IO comms on the Panelview Plus respond much slower than the remote IO comms on the PV900s that were replaced, maybe 2 seconds?? Looking at the block transfer logic everything looks to read and write quickly, but panelview response time is slooow.

I have since routed the PV+1000 comms through a control logix PLC that sits on the same network as the SLC. The PV+ is on ethernet to the Contrologix PLC which is on DH+ to the SLC. There is a bit of info going between the two PLCs, but the PV+ response time has increased. I battled long and hard with various remote IO block transfers before I took this path.

Also, in the 1747-SN manual I remember seeing something about the differences between PLC5 and SLC500 block transfer behavior.. might be worth having a look to see how some of the bits are set that could be hanging up your BT logic.

I got very in-depth with RSView ME 3.0 and RIO, with protocol analyzers and throughput testing and touchscreen intercepts... I mean, in DEPTH.

I only remember a little. Maybe I only want to.

Be sure to follow the recommendations to make the Block Transfers numerically adjacent in the RIO configuration.

RIO tags always go through the FactoryTalk View tag database aliasing function, so there's about a 1 second delay right there.

Be sure that your Display updates aren't set at the default 1 second update time; the apparent update could look like 2 seconds.

Add some timers or free-running-clock comparisons in the PLC-5 logic to see how long the .EN bit stays on before the .DN bit for the Block Transfer is seen. Trap and count .ER bits and actual Error Codes.

If the Block Transfers are timing out, I'm thinking there could be an underlying noise issue that you aren't aware of. A protocol analyzer (see if you can borrow a 1756-RIO) or oscilloscope might be called for.

The panelview needs to see the done bit true at the end of each transfer or it times out. For multiple block transfers make sure the block transfers are sequenced. I had only one block transfer and it was timing out. I added in the rung before the BTW this: XIC BT/DN TON for one tenth of second, and XIO Timer TT in the BTW rung, and I haven't had any timeouts since. If you have TechConnect search for article 26611, it has examples for multiple transfers.