slc to panelview

RY_Guthrie

Is it possible to go thru the slc 5/03 and access the panelview so I can upload and download panelview apps passing thru the slc500 serial port?

Last edited:
Not to my knowledge.

More information on the panelview connections and comms setup would help us to give you all of your upload and download options.

If it is a panelview plus without an ethernet port that is talking serial to the processor, then point to point comms with your PC is the only way.

Regards

The panelview is communicating over dh485 to the processor, I have been informed that it might be possible to go thru the slc to the panelview using rs-linx

I presume this is related to your other posts about the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx, and the loading of a PanelView Standard 900 application into a PanelView Standard 1000.

The technical answer to your question is "maybe".

Yes, you can communicate via "DH485 Passthrough", connecting your PC and RSLinx Classic to the SLC-5/03 Channel 0 serial port and browsing through to the DH485 network, if the SLC-5/03 has OS302 Series C FRN8 or newer firmware. Set both Status bits S:34/0 and S:34/5 equal to 1.

Passthrough uploads and downloads using PanelBuilder are a tricky business; the feature was added piecemeal over the history of PanelBuilder, RSLinx, the PanelViews and the PLC and SLC controllers. If it doesn't work on the first couple of tries I wouldn't pursue it.

I carry a PCMCIA Type II carrier and a small CF card for precisely these sorts of events.

I have a pci-e based expresscard i/o adapter that is true serial, but for the life of me I cant get it to work using the pic module, I am using the 1747-pic/aic driver in rs linx, but for some reason it wont let me start the driver? It says stopped and doesnt give me the option to start it

I'm not equipped to argue PCIe architecture, but I am not aware of any expansion or add-on serial card that has been made to work with the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver.

You can search the Forum for the many dozens of threads jousting at this particular windmill. I can't remember if the PIC driver is supposed to work with RSLinx running as a service or as an application.... it's a bit of a headache.

Use a memory card as Ken suggested in the other thread. You will then be able to make proper use of the PIC as a paperweight. The memory card method is much faster and more reliable than any other method of transferring applications to/from a PanelView standard.

unfortunatly for me the memory card is in a pv900 and the only replacment I have is a pv1000, I am going to try and upload from the memory card but dont give it much hope of working. And I agree as for the use of the pic module, a paper weight!! and not a very good one!

RY_Guthrie said:
unfortunatly for me the memory card is in a pv900

So take it out? (the memory card)

If you do this while pwered up and running, the Panelview will bark at you something like 'unexpected memory card removal. touch the screen to continue', unless you can get to a configuration screen and press the right button for safe removal. There is a comment in the manual that recommends not to remove the card without doing that last step first, but I have done it a hundred times with no problem. Just make sure it is finished saving before you yank it.

RY_Guthrie said:
and the only replacment I have is a pv1000, I am going to try and upload from the memory card but dont give it much hope of working.

So, I am speculating that your plan is to open the PV900 application in Panelbuilder32 and change the display type to your PV1000 part number and do whatever is necessary to make the same application work there?

I have had to do similar things in the past, and it is usually pretty painless when you are going bigger, but the big gotcha with a Panelview standard is the communication method.

I would also recommend that you post the complete part numbers for both panelviews and we can check to make sure that your intended upgrade path is feasible.

Last edited:
What exact type of memory card are you using ?

Some of the more-modern (mid-1990s) cards with 2711-NM2x part numbers were "ATA" type cards that can be read by a standard computer or USB/PCMCIA adapter.

The earlier ones (2711-NM1x) were called Linear Flash; no modern PCs can read them.

The PanelView Standard terminals were such a pain to connect to that it's a good thing they were nearly indestructible !

The PanelView Standard terminals were such a pain to connect to that it's a good thing they were nearly indestructible !

I think we still have about 8 Panelview 550s and for whatever reason we seem have every possible variation of keypad/touch and communication method possible. One of them is FRN 1.02. I will be glad when I get to stick G306's in their place for the sake of scratching obsolete parts off my list, but a bit sad to see the old beat up but reliable units go away.

cant communicate with panelview at all, going to try and load the pv900 program into the pv1000

You will need to change the display type in Panelbuilder32 and then do a 'validate all' and check out any errors first.

Also, you should look around at all the screens to see where everything lands after this change.

Good luck.
Paul

Again I cannot communicate with the panelview at all, so I can make no adjustments, unless I can go in thru the processor to the panelview I am done, until I can get a 1747-uic cable.