CP5512 very slow, crashing notebook

tlynyrd

Hi All,
I received a new dell laptop model E5520 and I'm having problems getting the CP5512 pcmcia card to work properly. When comparing a program it is very slow, and sometimes even crashes with "blue screen" system dump. I've never had a problem with the cp5512 card before, all other dell's used to work just fine. I already checked dell's website for a newer bios update, but there aren't any. I did not really want to give up the cp5512 card and get one of those new "bricks", I believe it's called CP5711 which is connected through USB port.

Here the specs:
Dell E5520 i5 quadcore
OS WinXP pro SP3
Step7 Ver. 5.5 Sp1

We have also encountered problems with newer dell computers. On some models the old CP5511 works better than the newer CP5512.

Siemens cant help they think that it is a problem with the way the hardware distributes the Interrupt addresses which i think is done in BIOS for the newer 5512.

For the old cards 5511 there is a tool that can be downloaded from Siemens that can change the irq. This tool do not seem to work with 5512.

We ended up buying this adapter which has worked out well for us. It has a smaller footprint and is slightly cheaper than the Siemens version.

Here the specs:
Dell E5520 i5 quadcore
OS WinXP pro SP3
Step7 Ver. 5.5 Sp1

I had issues with Win XP and PCMCIA port on a Dell E5510, the solution from Dell was the following:

Locate the following key in regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters
Add a REG_DWORD named IrqRouteToPciController and assign a value of 8.
Reboot and try PCMCIA again.

the CP5711 doesn't share the same advantages of the CP5512 due to needing external power if not plugged in to the CPU ports, its also a very big as you say.

I've also had mixed experiences with Netlinks - ok for monitoring/Programming - but would never use them again for permanent connections.