factory talk 6.1

jw5192

Hi using panelview pulse 600 bringing in a barecode scan in the usb port assigning a tag to a numerical input set to scratch pad and attaching the same tag to a string display i'm able to see the scan but it locks the screen and i have to reload the program, how to resolve this problem?.

Thanks

You realize that was all in one breath, right ? :)

You described using a tag as a numeric input and as a string input. Could you elaborate on how you're doing that ?

In general, numeric inputs are sent to Analog Tags, and String Displays are connected to String Tags.

What exact make and model of barcode scanner are you using ?

Does the terminal "lock up" only when you have both a Numeric Input and a String Display tied to the tag ? Or with just one ?

Are you certain you have to re-load the application ? If you're somehow getting into a failure of FactoryTalk View or loss of focus, I can imagine having to power cycle. But I would be amazed if you actually had to re-load the *.MER file.

Sorry for the grammar Ken.

This was right out of a Rockwell tech note, like i said it works but something I'm doing will just lock the touch screen and the only way out is to reload.

Thanks

I'm familiar with using USB mice and keyboards, because Windows CE recognizes them as "Human Interface Devices" (HID) and there are fairly generic USB drivers for them.

The idea I'm familiar with for barcode readers is that they behave like a keyboard, so when there's a read of a barcode that represents "1234ABC", the barcode reader behaves like a keyboard and sends "1235ABC" to whatever field has focus on the PanelView. Generally the barcode reader also includes a carriage return byte so that the scan behaves like a text entry followed by the enter key.

I have never seen this implemented with a "serial" barcode reader. I would imagine that requires the Kepserver UCON driver. Using the UCON driver for string input is one of the simplest things you can do with UCON, but in my experience everything with that driver is tricky.

So my stack of questions is:

1. What firmware revision is actually running on the PanelView 600 ?

2. Are you using the UCON driver or using a barcode reader like a keyboard ?

3. If you are using the UCON driver, what revision are you developing in on your FactoryTalk View Studio PC ?

4. What is the name or number of the RA technote you are following ?

5. Have you tested the application on your development PC ?

I realize it must be plain as day to you, but why do you think you have to re-load the application instead of just cycling power ? When you do cycle power, is the *.MER file still present on the terminal ?

You really know your stuff ken, the problem with cycling power is on the plc1100 i loose my blank ip addrress and have to go through the problem of setting up (another proble i'm working out)

36281 - USB BarCode Scanner and PanelView Plus​
Access Level: TechConnect
Date Created: 08/03/2006 12:00 AM
Last Updated: 01/04/2011 01:02 PM
Can I use a USB BarCode Scanner with PanelView Plus?
If I use a USB BarCode Scanner on a PanelView Plus, how can I visually see the data?
To use a USB BarCode Scanner on a PanelView Plus:
Use a​
String Input Enable Object.
Set up the
String Pop-Up setting for ScratchPad.
To visually see the data, use a
String Display Object with the same tag connection as the String 3. Input Enable.
Follow the links to these TechNotes for additional information on using bar code scanners with PanelViewPlus/Plus CE:
AID-26321, titled
Using Barcode Scanners with the VersaView CE.

AID-22399, titled
Kepware Server - UCON Driver with a Barcode Scanner.

Which of those three methods are you using ?

If it's the principal one (36281), then your need to use a String Input Enable object, not a Numeric Entry Object. Your target tag must be a String type, not an Analog or Digital type.

All A-B devices can use automatically-assigned IP addresses (BOOTP/DHCP) or Static IP addresses. In the PanelView terminal, select "Static IP" and enter the IP address. In RSLogix 500 software, for the Ethernet channel, un-check the "Use Bootp/DHCP" box while online with the controller.

If you disable BOOTP/DHCP, the device will keep its IP address through a power cycle.

KEN, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

WHEN I'M IN FRONT OF THIS UNIT IN THE MORNING I'LL REVIEW THIS EMAIL.
IF AT ALL POSSIBLE I WOULD LIKE TO CALL ON YOU AGAIN, YOU'RE A GREAT HELP!

Thanks Jim

P.S SORRY ABOUT THE CRAMMER