Novice: HMI connected to Industrial PC

LiamD

Hi,

I have no experience of HMI/PLCs, I am more of a micro controller programmer.

I have been tasked to connect a Mitsubishi GOT1000 HMI to an industrial PC over a serial connection RS232/RS422. I would be using the GT Designer software.

From my understanding the standard protocol for HMI communication relies on communication with a pre-define PLC. The registers content within the PLC can be easily displayed on the HMI. Connecting to a PLC to HMI is fairly simple.

Now for my case (between HMI and Industrial PC) can anyone give guidance on the feasibility for me to read data from the PC and display on the HMI. Do I have to define the serial messages or are these predefined? Or can I add a driver to the PC to act like a PLC for the serial communication?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,
Liam

I am not familiar with your HMI, but I would suspect that if you can get the PC to speak Modbus you may be able to get something to work, or if you can use DDE/OPC connections.

Both of these options would require that the HMI supports them too.