RS Linx help?

dginbuffalo

Hello- having trouble with rs Linx. Shouldn't I be able to see 1794 remote Ethernet adapter listed? I cannot see it or a compact logix I have hooked up. When I run bootp the processor returns the IP I assigned. I also cannot ping it and when I try to ping a address say 192.158.1.20, I get a response that it is pinging .18??? Probably not even a Linx issue? I can ping my own eth adapter without a problem. Ideas?

If you can't ping it, RSLinx won't see it. When the ping fails, you may get a message something like 'no response from <your own PC NIC IP address>'. I noticed the same thing the other day.

Is this an address that was recently assigned to a different device?

Take a step back. Don't even try to troubleshoot RSLinx until you have basic IP connectivity.

First, connect only to one network. If you are using both WiFi and wired Ethernet, turn the one that's not connected to the control system off.

Next, determine for certain the IP address of your computer. I prefer to use the IPCONFIG /ALL command from a command line, but you might prefer to use the Network Control Panel.

Next, run the BOOTP/DHCP Server to see if any of your devices are still sending out requests.

For this step you should describe the overall network: is this a system on your desk, or in the field, or in the shop ? Are you connected to a corporate network ? Is the PLC system on the corporate network addressing scheme or separate ?