Virtual/Simulated PLC questions

electronbee

I have been lurking around searching but I may not be familiar with the terms yet to find out what I want.

I would like to know if there are PLC device simulators, like an AB MicroLogix xxxx (or whatever) which can be run on a real machine/virtual machine that will be part of a larger network of PLCs and an HMI to oversee it. I have seen some great products by PeakHMI (very helpful BTW), LADSIM, MODPUS PLC Simulator. But, I need to have actual real TCP/IP packets to look at in the end and that is the part that is not evident to me. And, if there is a change in the network status: up/down, contention, packet loss. I need to see that reflected in the PLCs that I have up and running.

Is there an all-in-one suite that will have everything or multiple apps that I can purchase to do this? I just need pointers and best of all, experienced advice on which direction to pursue this.

I'll be playing with the PeakHMI demo and its included RLL tomorrow. See if that works out for me.

I really appreciate the help in advance.