RL G3 BACnet

dts_inc

Anyone have any experience with using a Red Lion G3 communicating to a device over BACnet MS/TP? I'm trying to control a York chiller. BACnet is enabled in the chiller and the G3 is configured as a slave. I can monitor the device (isdeviceonline()) and it shows that it is connected and the RS485 port appears to communicating based on status lights, but I can't seem to read or write.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Anyone have any experience with using a Red Lion G3 communicating to a device over BACnet MS/TP? I'm trying to control a York chiller. BACnet is enabled in the chiller and the G3 is configured as a slave. I can monitor the device (isdeviceonline()) and it shows that it is connected and the RS485 port appears to communicating based on status lights, but I can't seem to read or write.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Are you using Gateway blocks to setup your tags? I have not used BACnet before but I bet that is something you will need to do.

I've used the G3 BACnet MS/TP slave driver before with success.

Maybe I'm missing the point here but, why not let the G3 be the master if you're trying to get data from and send start/stop/setpoint commands to the YORK chiller? Does the chiller have onboard BACnet driver, MicroGateway, or an eLink interface card?

Although BACnet may have been enabled in the York chillers there arer several types of BACnet - BACnet IP, BACnet Ethernet etcetera. Make sure the right BACnet protocol has been enabled.

Thanks for the reply. I have gateway blocks set up but I'm not sure if the tags are set up correctly.

As Jeff said please post what you have so far along with what Bob said. We need to know exactly what interface you need.

My actual file was too large so I modified the attached to show what I'm trying to do.

Johnson controls instructed me to set a "De modifier address" which I set as 15, a "De modifier offset" which is supposed to be set to -1, and a MAC address set from 0-127 which I set to 90. Using RS485 and chiller unit is set up as MS/TP given the above config. Chiller unit is a master and I'm using the SM/TP slave driver in Crimson.

Port settings in chiller are 34800/eight/1/none which I matched in Crimson. G3 rs485 port indicator lighs are flashing. You'll notice that I mapped a PLC tag to "BV001", which according to Johnson controls mapping doc, should be the BACnet discrete stop/start. Can't make the unit start. I also tried to read an analog value but could not.

I feel as though my configuration settings in Crimson are funky......Is the MAC address setting the G3 port MAC or the chiller? is the "divice id" the same as the "De modifier address"? Please help if you can.

John

What exact chiller hardware are you trying to communicate with?

If you use the BACnet MS/TP slave driver, the parameters you configure are for the port on the G3. How do you tell the driver to address the data on the chiller's BACnet data port? A JCI eLink or YORK Microgateway are slave devices themselves. Now if there's a JCI NAE or NCE involved that's another story, they can be masters. Who told you the chiller was the master?

If you use the master BACnet MS/TP driver, you set the G3's port data, and then under that the Device ID and discovery method of the slave device you want to send and receive data from. Then define that data by the Gateway blocks.

According to Johnson Controls tech support, the unit is a master. Here is the info...

STEP 1: Connect your BACnet MS/TP Network to Port 1 on the IPU II I/O Board (031-02550-000) as shown on
Diagram 1
STEP 2: Set up YCAL/YCUL/YCWL Port 1 (P1) for BACnet Communications .
To access the communication parameters
1: Press the PROGRAM key once,
2: Next press the DOWN ARROW key four times
3: Then press the ENTER key until you arrive at the ( P1) Port 1 settings.
Now set:
1: DE Modifier Address (230) recommended (number entered is used as a prefix to the 2 digit MAC address ex. Mac = 4 De Instance = 23004
2: DE Modifier Offset (-1)
3: P1 Protocol : Set to BACNET
4: P1 Manual MAC Address : Set to 0-127. This device acts as a Master
5: P1 Baud rate : Set as required by network
6: P1 Parity : Set to NONE
7: P1 Stop Bits: Set to 1

Referring to YORK instruction FORM 150.62-NM8 (410) .. page 145

I agree, connect to P1 for BACnet MS/TP

Code:
BACnet and Modbus Communications
Chiller data that can be read and modified using 
specific BACnet or Modbus Register Addresses; and 
the data associated with the addresses, is outlined in the 
following description:

ANALOG WRITE POINTS
This data can be read and modified using a BACnet or 
Modbus network connection.  The Modbus Register 
Address for these points is 1025 + AV #.

BINARY WRITE POINTS
This data can be read and modified using a BACnet or 
Modbus network connection.  The Modbus Register 
Address for these points is 1537 + BV #

ANALOG READ ONLY POINTS
This data can be read using a BACnet or Modbus 
network connection and can NOT be modified using 
this connection.  The Modbus Register Address for these 
points is 513 + AI #.

BINARY MONITOR ONLY POINTS
This data can be read using a BACnet or Modbus 
network connection and can NOT be modified using 
this connection.  The Modbus Register Address for these 
points is 1281 + BI #.

Communications Data Map Notes
(See Table 44)
1. IPU II based units are configured for Native BACnet 
MS/TP and Modbus RTU communications. 
MicroGateway or E-Link not required for these two 
communication protocols.

Page 146 - 148 has the maps that I assume you already have.

If what the tech support guy told you was correct, there would be a setting in the chiller to push data to a slave node. Notice that there isn't. Therefore, use the G3's Master driver, and treat the chiller as a slave. You need to use the G3 to READ data actively, the chiller won't push it to the G3, because it doesn't even know the G3 is on the network until a master asks for data.

Also....do I need to reference the MODBUS address? I noticed in the doc it states "MODBUS address 513 + AI #"

You don't need the modbus address unless you're using modbus.

I wanted to provide you an alternative, if you are still having trouble with BACnet.