PID tuning class, any good ones?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
HI folks,
I have a client that recently haired a new grad Chemical Engineer to assume the role of "controls" engineer. They plan on sending him to ladder logic trainging, HMI training, and loop tuning training. They asked me for a recommended class on loop tuning. I do not have a clue, never been to one, and loop tuning is not one of my strengths. Has anyone been to a class that they would recommend?

HI folks,
I have a client that recently haired a new grad Chemical Engineer to assume the role of "controls" engineer. They plan on sending him to ladder logic trainging, HMI training, and loop tuning training. They asked me for a recommended class on loop tuning. I do not have a clue, never been to one, and loop tuning is not one of my strengths. Has anyone been to a class that they would recommend?

I haven't been to one of his classes, but I would most definitely recommend you check out Ron Beaufort's website.
I know I have learned more about PID controllers, how to tune them, and how they work from his pdf's and his discussions on this forum than from any other single source.

And he's based out of your neck of the woods, too! (y)

Hi Ken
I attend some training with Control station they have a nice loop tuning product. I found the instructor Bob Rice to be very knowledgeable and explained the concepts well. They work well with many brands of PLCs. I use AB control logix and have found that product to be great.
http://www.controlstation.com/

Rich

Hi Ken
I attend some training with Control station they have a nice loop tuning product. I found the instructor Bob Rice to be very knowledgeable and explained the concepts well. They work well with many brands of PLCs. I use AB control logix and have found that product to be great.
http://www.controlstation.com/

Rich
I think Ron Beaufort would be excellent for learning how to setup an AB PLC but Bob Rice would be better for learning the control theory. I have some of the course material. It is pretty good.

Does the ISA course still teach Zeigler-Nichols as the way to tune a loop? If so I would look elsewhere as there are much better ways to do it. I have used Lambda tuning method in the past but there are other model based concepts too. I am not sure who teaches them now but the links above to ControlStation and the information on ControlGuru are a good start.