GE CPU05 Ethernet Restart

jseavers

We have a GE Versamax PLC that recently the ethernet connection will stop working. A power cycle to the PLC will then restart the ethernet connection, this happens about once a week lately. Strange thing is for the past two years there have been no problems. Both Status lights stay amber when the connection is lost. The PLC is talking EGD, 1 produced %R word and 1 consumed %R word. The EGD exchanges are not very time sensative so I think the first thing I will try is slowing down the EGD transactions to 500ms. We also have a HMI on the serial port so today I programmed an alarm that looks at the Ethernet %I status bits 13&16, Alarm will flash if either status bit goes false.

Question, is there a way to restart the Versamax ethernet port with logic? I looked at the SVCREQ but did not see one that looked like it would do what I want.
Thanks!

Service Req. 24 is used on a 90-30, not sure if it will work with a VersaMax. Have you looked at the faults in the CPU and in Station Manager port to see if the cause can be eliminated?

The fault in the PLC is:
-<PLCFault> <faultDescription>LAN transceiver fault; OFF network until fixed</faultDescription> <faultLocation>0.0</faultLocation> <timeLogged>02-20-2012 16:25:20</timeLogged> <faultErrorCode>454</faultErrorCode> <unitNumber>6</unitNumber> <faultExtraData>20 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 01 01 7b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 </faultExtraData> <faultGroup>14</faultGroup> <faultAction>2:Diagnostic</faultAction> <LanName/> <DeviceName/>

I never used the station Manager port before. I will try and read up on it to see what it is and what it does.

The "LAN transceiver fault" generally means the connection was lost. I would check the connections and cables first. Then (As always.) if need be update the firmware for all affected components. IIRC there is a timer you can get at with the station manager that regulates the down time where the port stops re-trying to connect after it loses comms.

Had a CPU364 with similar problem. Was running for 2 weeks, then failed. After reset, would run an hour or two, and fail again.
Replaced CPU. Replacement worked fine.
Took a long time to troubleshoot, because I didn't believe the CPU (network daughter board) was bad.

Thanks guys for the tips.
For now I put the PLC on a different network drop and will monitor.
I did download and try Pacsanalyzer tool from GE, pretty cool.

I have a similar problem with VersaMax IC200CPUE05. We keep losing Ethernet comms at random. Have already replaced PLC due to loose RJ45. Probably will try shielded Cat.6 cable next. Have you resolved your problem yet? If so, would you tell me how you did it?

Problem actually ended up being our plant network. Nothing to do with the GE PLC. It has been rock solid after a bad ups was changed out from our IT department.