Communication with SLC5/05 via RS232

Tiqr

Hi,
I work at the company. I need to communicate with the PLC SLC 5/05.
I already tried to connect but when i press "Auto configure" on RSlinx it gives timeout error.
I have the cable 1747-CP3.
Should it be problem with J4(jumper 4)?
Please, who help me.

J4 is to protect from a operating system (firmware) download. Leave it in the protect position. It has nothing to do with communication.

What driver are you using in RSlinx? The serial port on your SLC5/05 can be configured for DF1 ( default) , DH485 , ASCII , if a newer unit Modbus. If you have the offline file
check the serial ports configuration. Or post the file here ( it's .RSS file) and someone will help you look. Zip the file first then post.

Was/is anything connected to the serial port? If so what?

Hi, Mickey. Thanks for reply.
My driver is DF1 like "AB_DF1-1 DH+ Sta:0 COM1:pORT" on RSlinx;
From that port directly connected PanelView monitor via cable.

Tigr, post the full part number of the PanelView terminal. It will be something like "2711-K10C5".

That will allow us to determine which protocol the PanelView is using, and therefore which protocol the SLC-5/05 serial port is using.

The cable between your PC and the SLC-5/05 should be the 1747-CP3 cable.

The cable between a PanelView terminal and the SLC-5/05 will be a "straight through" cable or a 1747-CP3 plus a Null Modem adapter.

The same cable will not work for both connections.

If you are using a USB/RS232 converter, post details about the make and model. In the Windows Control Panel (System -> Hardware -> Ports (COM and LPT) look up which COM port number the interface is using, and set the DF1 driver in RSLinx for the same part number.

You may manually have to configure the DF1 driver, instead of using the Autoconfigure feature. See this similar thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=470012

Dear Ken Roach,
Panelview terminal is "2711-K6C5". My cable is "1747-CP3". The cable between a Panelview and SLC5/05 is "2711-NC13".
I use U-port RS-232 to USB convertor. This USB convertor works right. Because i connected it to other PLC SLC5/05 and test.
My com port is "COM1" and i set the DF1 driver in RSLinx for the same port number.

Your Panelview supports DH485 protocol. The DF1 driver is not going to work. This means the serial port on your SLC has to be configured for DH485 protocol.

Your USB to serial adapter is not going to support DH485 protocol. You will need to get a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter). Or get a computer with a real serial port and use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx.

Do you know the IP address of the SLC? If so use it to connect to the SLC.

FYI, it's very unusual for a USB to serial adapter to take com 1. Are you sure about that?

Last edited:
Because your PanelView is a 2711-K6C5, then the serial port of the SLC-5/05 is almost certainly configured for DH485 protocol.

The only way to communicate with this SLC using the serial port is to use a 1747-UIC USB to DH485 interface module.

I would strongly recommend that you communicate with the SLC-5/05 over the Ethernet network instead.

Mickey, you're pretty fast on the keyboard.