Pumps and motor

Ready to run- All conditions satisfied such as safeties ,overloads, motor temperature
Stopped- Motor shaft is not rotating
Running- Motor shaft is rotating, could be with some type of confirming conditions depending on the application, pressure, flow etc.

Last edited:
if the pump is running and you open a pipe at the output end ---
--- you will get wet

I think we need more details on what the pump is pumping, what kind of pump and what kind of motor.

If pump is pumping tar you would want tar up to liquid temperature, water you would want suction valve open and NPSH,

MOTOR if 1/8 HP it is pretty simple. 8,000 HP is the oil pump running and up to pressure?

With out basic info on operation you force us to make assumptions that go off in many tangents.

Dan Bentler

The Question is self explanatory but find below the explanation.
1.ready to run or Ready- No fault & Press start to run the Pump
2.stopped- Pump is not running
3.running condition of a pump - Pump is running

What is difference between ready to run, stopped and running condition of a pump?

These terms are normally associated with ESD systems(emergency shutdown systems).

Ready to run is normally an indication on the operator console that all conditions that need to be fullfilled for the pump to run have been met. This could be say a temperature, pressure, level etc. associated with the pump are normal. (Usually called permissive conditions).
Pump Running can be just an indicator light from the starter main contactor that it is closed and by inference the pump is running. It also could be from say a pressure switch in the pump discharge that senses normal operating pump discharge pressure and hence the pump is running.
Pump stopped could just be the opposite of pump running by inference but most likely will be an indication (plus audible alarm) that the pump has been shut down by an ESD system function such as low flow through the pump.
All of these conditions are normally indicated on the operator console so that he can see the status of that pump at any given time.

Last edited: