RSLogix5000 Motion Control - Full Rotation

recondaddy

Hey everybody,

I've been working with process and packaging for years, but I'm fairly new to motion control, and would like some quick advice on what I'm sure is an elementary question.

The question, in a nutshell, is "what is the BEST way to instruct a servo to make a full rotation (or multiple rotations)?"

Imagine that the servo is sitting at position '0'. Obviously, if I issue a Motion Axis Move (MAM) instruction, telling the axis to move to '0', it's already there.

The systems integrator who programmed the machine that I'm working on, right now, handled the situation by issuing two separate MAMs. The first one is triggered by an index command and executes an incremental move of a very short distance. The second MAM is triggered by the .DECEL bit of the first MAM and executes an absolute move back to '0'.

Is this the best way to do it, or is there a s.e.x.ier way that motion pro's use?

Thanks for your advice!

It seems that the integrator intended to ensure the axis' mechanical operability prior of issuing the 360 deg. MAM command or he was "picking up" the transmission backlash especially if the gravity/direction reversal are influencing the positioning.

OK. Appreciate the trip into psyche of the integrator. :D

I'm thinking that the best course of action is simply a 360 degree incremental move. Perhaps I was being too restrictive in my thinking and was limiting the question to absolute moves, only.

I agree 100%...:)
I don't see why complicating it if a simple MAM would do it.
Usually third party integrators are not as familiar with the application at hand as the "owners" are; un-necessary precautions directed towards un-existing issues are just a way to cover the eventual liabilities and increase the "troubleshooting workload" of the end-user...:nodi: