view ME Numeric input handshake

robw53

i am struggling to get my head around this one, i am writing a value into a timer preset and when i enter the value i want to then write a one to a seperate tag, i have got the seperate tag in the ENTER but this only writes zero, i looked in the help section and it does mention it handles 0 and 1 but does not explain how to write 1

anybody know how to over come this?

Rob

i am struggling to get my head around this one, i am writing a value into a timer preset and when i enter the value i want to then write a one to a seperate tag, i have got the seperate tag in the ENTER but this only writes zero, i looked in the help section and it does mention it handles 0 and 1 but does not explain how to write 1

anybody know how to over come this?

Rob

Maybe I misunderstand you, but the "enter" and "enter handshake" connections are two different things. Whatever tag you put in the "enter" connection will go high (1) when the enter button is pressed on the keypad. If you are using a "handshake" tag then it will reset the enter tag. In other words, a value is entered, the enter tag becomes a 1, the enter tag will trigger some logic in your plc, which will then set the handshake tag, which will reset the enter tag when read by the PV+.
If you do not use the handshake connection, then the enter tag will behave like a momentary n.o. PB. It will be held high for the time specified in the "timing" tab of the object properties.

Hope this helps.

i only put handshake in the title so people looking would understand its that part of the numerical input im struggling with, im just using the ENTER part no handshake setup, and my input in the logic doesnt go high, if i toggle the bit high and enter the value and press enter it unlatches the bit ive already toggled, but i crn't get it to set the bit high.

strange..... after playing about for about a couple of hours, and with the exact same setup as i started with i now have it working.

So basically, the enter connection is only working like a toggle OFF button. You're saying that if you monitor the tag, and it's 0, it stays 0 when a value is entered and never changes, but if the tag is 1, then it resets to 0 and stays 0 on a value enter?
That is very strange I have never had a numeric input behave this way. Is it possible something else in the logic is clearing the tag besides the PV+ object?
Probably wouldn't hurt to post the .ACD(?) and .MER files. Without looking at the files, I have no idea why your object should behave like that. I've used the enter tag dozens of times, almost always as an XIC to perform some task. I also usually forego the "handshaking" part, I just set the hold time for a full second, then just have a one-shot after the XIC so the action only happens once.

From the FT View ME 6.0 User Manual, page 21-12:

How handshaking works
This method of Enter key handshaking works as follows:
1. When the operator presses the Enter button, the value is sent to the Value connection
and the “Enter key control delay” timer begins timing. (The use of a delay is optional.)
2. If you specify an Enter key control delay, when the time is up, the Enter connection is
set to 1. If you don’t use the delay, the Enter connection is set to 1 as soon as the
operator presses Enter.
As long as the Enter connection is set to 1, the operator cannot send new values to the
data source.
3. When the Enter connection is set to 1, the “Enter key hold time” timer begins timing.
4. When the Enter key hold time has expired, the Enter connection is reset to 0 and the
operator can send a new value to the Value connection.
This first part of the section explains the "non-handshaking" method, and then goes on to explain how the handshaking works.
Can you try setting up an enter tag for another numeric input in your application and test it to see if it also behaves this way? If so, you may have a bug in your version of FTStudio. Wouldn't be the first time. 🔨

EDIT: I was too slow with my response. Glad to hear you got it working, but don't you hate when you don't know why???

Last edited: