Admin acess

Jezz

Hi all our IT dept are setting up a new laptop for us thats going to use windows 2000 (as aposed to our old one on windows NT)now on the old one we had admin acess so we could alter com ports ect needed this for RSlinx now do I need admin acess to alter com port settings under W2000??

Thanks Jezz

P.S hope the question makes sence I've been on the early shift for 4 weeks now and it's taking its tole.........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

my 2 cents

I cannot say for sure Jezz, but I do know that with XP, there are several things that require us to have admin capabilities. TI Workshop for one is really sensitive. I don't know what kind of software you're used to working with, but if you can get the admin capabilities, take it. It will almost certainly help you avoid problems in the future. Its also very tough to get an IT person to come in at 2 am sometime to make you an administrator when you need it the most. On second thought, this was more like a nickels worth. :)

Russ

Thanks Russ thats what I was thinking trying to get hold of IT can be a real pain, in the day time let alone in the early hours.............

Jezz

Don't know about RSLinx,

but definatly with Windoze2000 I have suffered with admin rights, Even getting IT to setup an account with full rights did not surfice issues with ports and loading updates was always a pain, As you say trying to get a hold of IT can be a pain late on fridays etcetc, so I setup myseld as the administrator for the machine, and login as such, everything works out ok !

Cheers

Mylo

and another thing

The IT dept have problems telling the difference between Outlook and RSLogix they are both just application as far as they are concerned .... banghead

Jezz

Jezz

What you are describing here is one of the reasons I detest letting our IT department setup/purchase a laptop/PC for my use (or our departmental use)

I have had to explain on many an occasion why I have been purchasing PC's and PC spares direct and have not gone through our IT department, as per corporate policy!

The acronym for our IT department is :- ISD (Information Systems Department),
but as far as the Engineering department are concerned 'ISD' stands for Infinitely Stupid Department

Paul

Admin rights are essential!

I actually have a good relationship with our IT group, and can be an admin on any of the systems that I need to be. IT still is required to authorize any software purchased for a system that connects to our network though. Since our IT group (and I assume nearly every other IT group out there . . .) doesn't have any familiarity with the control software that I work with, this can be a real nuisance. To minimize the impact, I have worked out this compromise:

Our control networks are totally separate from our information networks (This won't work for everyone, but it isn't too bad for me since we have only one location). Engineering has control over the control network, and doesn't need IT approval for anything purchased or installed there.

Good luck,

Marc

Hopefully you can convice your IT department that you need to be administrator on you local machine. Not to be confused with admin rights on the network. The IT guys should be more concered with network security and not so much with what you do to your machine.

Of course, if you have worked with companies like I have you might not need to be buying a laptop but instead purchasing a "portable machine control interface device" and then seting up your own little private network to interface to all the other "machine control interface devices" and PLC's (machine controllers).

we could tell you ... but then we'd have to kill you ...

Paul Lucas said:

What you are describing here is one of the reasons I detest letting our IT department setup/purchase a laptop/PC for my use (or our departmental use)

I have had to explain on many an occasion why I have been purchasing PC's and PC spares direct and have not gone through our IT department, as per corporate policy!

this brings to mind something akin to a “covert operation” that we used to do relatively often back in the days when I worked for an Allen-Bradley distributor ...

George (not his real name) from Vandelay Industries (not his real company) would call and say “I need another two units” ... we (the distributor) would order two new Dell laptops ... when the systems arrived at our offices, we’d cut the outer cardboard boxes open and flip them inside out ... then we’d tape them back together ... now we’ve got two “plain brown wrappers” ... we’d load the computers with RSLogix ... RSLinx, etc. ... add in the communications cables, etc. ... whatever George wanted ... then we’d send our truck to deliver the goods to the Vandelay receiving dock ... on the way over, the driver would phone George and tell him: “the shipment is on its way” ... George would meet the driver at the dock and personally sign for the goods ... that way the receiving clerk never got his grubby hands on the boxes ... our invoice to Vandelay was for two “Allen-Bradley PLC programming terminals” ... the words “computer” or “software” were never mentioned in the paperwork ... this allowed George to purchase the “products” that he needed while slipping them in under the IT department’s radar ...

I’m certainly not recommending that anyone actually make use of this devious method to circumvent corporate policy ... but there’s the story for what it’s worth ...

Interesting thread guys. A huge issue for any large or small company IT knowalls, the worst ones are graduates. I have developed a special traing package, they lock me out of administrator access, I create an issue that requires me to have administrator access and call them at 2:30am to come in and fix it. This training regime is highly effective.

We have on many occasions purchaced 10k worth of bolts or pump seals to disguise a laptop purchase. What finance doesn't know won't hurt them, if you get caught "I don't know anything it must have been the other shift..."

Andrew