system architecture

mike_dr

I am new to designing system architecture and I'm to design one for a conveying system which is controlled by 1756-L73. There are analog point I/O's and 14 machines controlled by ML1500 being monitored which is included in the system. attached is what I imagined it to be. I would like to consult with the experts here since I fear this is turning out ugly. I will accept any suggestion/order. thank you

archi.jpg

basically the "main connection" is among the AENTR's that have analog output modules which are controlled by L73, the PC w/ HMI and the controller L73 for the conveying system. The 14 identical machines are independent of each other and is connected to the network for administrative purpose only,

I think I can do away with stratix 6000 for the ML1500 but since there is no unmanaged switch in RA(boss does not have contact with other brands), i used stratix.

Mike dr,

you have not posted enough information.
here's what i would do from past experience.

1. write out a basic scope of work. what needs to be done.
re-read your specs and expand on the scope oo work. do this 2-3 times.
2. forget your sketch. make a mach drawing of your line.
3. start at the beginning of the production line. what does that assembly line do? what is the interface signals required?
4. next machine. keep going until the end.
5. what stop signals are required? e-stops? fault signals?

keep asking what if questions until you can't think of anything. then allow for 30% spares because you will have forgot something.

regards,
james

each of the machines have their own e-stops and fault signals, start, stop etc. If they are accessible via ethernet then i do not need to have a new set, right? If a machine stops, the operator is alerted via HMI. the HMI should monitor the 1500

sadly I cannot replace 1500 since they are existing already.The conveying system is the new thing here so I have to include the 1500 in the network; thus the switches.

the 1761-NET-ENI is just ugly in my perspective but if it really connects the 1500 to ethernet, no problemo.