Multilayer Coil Winding

Mihaylov

I am developing a coil winding machine - the copper wire up to 0.9mm in diameter is wound on the rectangular mandrel. The mandrel rotation and wire guiding unit are controlled by servo motors connected to a position controller Mitsubishi that provides 1-axis motion and linear interpolation only. I know that the wire guiding has to be synchronized to the rotations with an appropriate delay. I have tried a sequence of interpolations for two axes synchronization in the winding process but some of produced coils contains not properly aligned turns, other coils are better. The maximum winding speed that I have achieved with that controller is 600 rpm – there are some problems that I am discussing with the local representatives.
I am not familiar with that type of machines. I am searching in the Internet but the only thing I have found are some low quality videos and chineese machine descriptions. Most of the coil winding machines consist of AC motor controlled by inverter and a traversing step motor, but my servo motors could not perform that obviously simple task. What does the traversing delay angle depend on? How higher winding speed is achieved without bad alignment of the coil turns in the layer? Other critical item is the reversing point of the guiding unit (traversing). Maybe the tensioning unit is important too, but I haven’t tested different settings for the device mounted on the machine.

I would appreciate any advice for making the machine works well.
Please excuse my awful English. :oops:

Regards,
Mihayloff

This may not be the answer you need. Many years ago I worked in a wire manufacturing plant. Most high speed wire coil winding machines that I have seen used a traveling guide that was mechanically inter-connected and driven by the winding spindle. An example device would be a fishing reel, only larger. With proper gearing the turns remain aligned at any speed between zero and maximum.

Last edited: