Heads up, Modbus Guys

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
I stumbled onto two noteworthies from Chipkin's web site

1) A free Windows app Modbus master, the does the normal read/writes in various formats, but also claims to scan a network for Modbus slaves. Hmmmm. That could be nifty. Details, description and download at the link below

http://www.chipkin.com/cas-modbus-scanner

2) The site's newsletter has an article on Skype grabbing serial ports, even when Skype is not active. The article recommends a free utility, Process Explorer, for killing Skype's greedy paws. (Process Explorer is a download from places like C-net)

article:
Skype Prevents HyperTerminal From Using Com Port

Sometimes Hyperterminal tells you the port is in use even when you think it is not. Skype likes grabbing your com port especially COM1. When you try to use the port you can't, even after you quit Skype. To remedy this situation, use Process Explorer to find and kill any process using the com port because Skype is not the only offender.

Steps:
1.Download Process Explorer.
2.Unzip and Run the process explorer.
3.Select FIND.
4.Type: serial.
5.You will get a list of processes using the serial ports.
6.Kill them.

An alternative solution:
1.Go to the Control Panel > System.
2.Disable COM1.
3.Reboot and then re-enable it.

http://www.chipkin.com/december-2011-newsletter

Thanks, Dan! That Modbus scanner will come in very handy. I used a similar program recently, but it was only a trial program, so it expired. Free is ALWAYS good!... (y)

🍻

-Eric

I've used Chipkin's Modbus "parser" extensively; if you're doing a Modbus decode by hand it cuts your work down by 80%.

I cannot figure out why Skype would want to use a serial port, though. Maybe Skype handsets like to emulate COM ports.

I’ve used the Chipkin scanner for a year or more now, it’s evolved a bit and gets better each time. it’s very handy for checking data addresses as some equipment manuals are not always straight forward.

It’s also free and I like free stuff that works

Chris

I've used this scanner before as well and I appreciate the fact that it's a free app. Look for upgrades often those--anytime they do one, it's worth the download.

Anyone still using this?

I stumbled onto two noteworthies from Chipkin's web site

1) A free Windows app Modbus master, the does the normal read/writes in various formats, but also claims to scan a network for Modbus slaves. Hmmmm. That could be nifty. Details, description and download at the link below

http://www.chipkin.com/cas-modbus-scanner

2) The site's newsletter has an article on Skype grabbing serial ports, even when Skype is not active. The article recommends a free utility, Process Explorer, for killing Skype's greedy paws. (Process Explorer is a download from places like C-net)

article:
Skype Prevents HyperTerminal From Using Com Port

Sometimes Hyperterminal tells you the port is in use even when you think it is not. Skype likes grabbing your com port especially COM1. When you try to use the port you can't, even after you quit Skype. To remedy this situation, use Process Explorer to find and kill any process using the com port because Skype is not the only offender.

Steps:
1.Download Process Explorer.
2.Unzip and Run the process explorer.
3.Select FIND.
4.Type: serial.
5.You will get a list of processes using the serial ports.
6.Kill them.

An alternative solution:
1.Go to the Control Panel > System.
2.Disable COM1.
3.Reboot and then re-enable it.

http://www.chipkin.com/december-2011-newsletter

Is this the cause of the "ComPort not Connect !" message? Other serial programs do not complain about the port, but this one does. I am using a USB to TTL rs485 adapter and also a usb rs485 adapter. Same problem with both.