data logging and trending

glideratio

Hi all,
I don't want trip twice on the same rake, I hope someone had a similar project,

I have the following configuration,
an HMI Panel is connected to a Mitsubishi PLC,
my task is to log the process data to the database,
both live and historical trends have to be available for viewing.

So the question are:

1) What is the best solution for this project?
2) Is it better to use a proper historian package or have some 3rd party OPC logger that would log the data to a DB (MSSQL, ACCESS, etc) and then some 3rd-party trend viewing software?
3) What to do in the event of network loss between PLC and OPC server ? How to manage this ?

Thank you

First ALWAYS put the rake away after the first time.

1. See 2.
2. IMHO it is better to use a dedicated Historian product.
3. A combination of the proper collector and Historian software will do this for you.

Hi Glideratio,

"an HMI Panel is connected to a Mitsubishi PLC" - Your task is to log live data and historical data from the HMI (or PLC) to a PC?

If this is the case, a scada software which has functions of logging data and collect data either from OPC Server or Mitsubishi PLC may be your best solution.

It also has historical data logging system, and functions to store data into SQL database.

You may take a look at the link: http://www.icpdas-usa.com/king_view.php

If you need help with it, I can help you get more information.

Luna / ICPDASUSA.