Controllogix versions

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I am going to install controllogix version 12 on my laptop today. We have controllogix programs going back to version 7. Will I be able to view/edit older version programs. I'm thinking that I would have to do a "control flash" to any earlier version firmware that I would have to go online with, is this correct. If so, what if my costumer doesn't have the same version as I, will I be able to "control flash" the processor to match his version of software?.

Also, is it possible to have multiple version of controllogix installed in the same PC?

Thanks,

Jeff

JeffB said:
Also, is it possible to have multiple version of controllogix installed in the same PC?

You can install version 8 and either 9 or 10. I've done that. I assume you can have 8 and 12. I wouldn't expect the versions after 8 to be compatible with each other.

ControlLogix versions

RSLogix 5000 V12 actually has versions 10, 11 and 12 installed with a loader program that chooses which to run. I believe you can also have version 8 and 9 loaded on the same PC but not the earlier versions.

Thanks for the replies,

I've just finished installing the software. I didn't know that versions 10 and 11 would be installed along with version 12. I've opened version 10 and 11 programs with no problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi,
If you load an older version say 10 and then change the controllers properties to rev 11 and save the file, be warned, you cannot go back to rev 10 the same way. Save the old rev 10 first as a different file name. Using the 3 most common words in program retrival, backup,,,

You should have been able to leave Version 7 on your machine. The way it works is that one pre-V8 version can be on the PC, then V10,11,12,13 + can all install together.

In my case, I have 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13.
One of my customers has 6, 11, and 12.

(an exception is Windows NT 4.0 workstations... they can only have one copy of any version)

There is not cross-compatibility between versions of RSLogix 5000 and versions of Logix firmware. You must have V12 software to work with V12 firmware, for example. That's why so many users have multiple versions on their PC's.

Take some care with V7 controllers... the memory utilization can grow with features that are in V10+ firmware and those programs won't always fit back in the controller once they're converted. Fortunately, if the controller supported V7 in the first place, you can always put it back.

[edit; OG is right, it's "one pre-V10" copy]

Last edited:
You can have one "pre-10" rev installed and then all versions from 10 on installed on the same PC at the same time. So for example, my computer has version 8, 10, 11, 12. If I wanted rev 7, I would have to remove rev 7.

Also, you have to install the "pre-10" rev BEFORE you install the 10+ revs. When launching the programs you have to launch the "pre-10" rev from a separate menu option. RSLogix5000 Enterprise is for all revs from 10 and on. It will automatically switch from 10 to 11 or 12 as needed, but it cannot automatically switch to a "pre-10" rev.

So, to answer your original question. Your rev 12 cannot open the rev 7. You can convert it from 7 to 12 though. The goal obviously is to get all your projects to at least rev 10. You can flash the processors revisions up or down as necessary from rev 2 (at least) to rev 12.

Good Luck!!

OG

Boy! This re-opens old wounds...

I remember starting a thread on this topic more than a year ago. I've still got to ask: WHY should we be installing four different versions of the same software?

I thought I was told that version 11 was supposed to be the blanket solution, compatible with all previous firmware, software, and underwear!

Of course, as loyal AB users, we just shake it off and say "Ok, when's the next revision?" This has GOT to hurt someone, somewhere.

AK