IGSS And ControlLogix

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

I have been tasked to do data logging and reporting on our complete site.

We use Siemens, Rockwell and a few others, so I have been toying with the idea of using a 3rd party SCADA system.

I have been 'playing' with IGSS and I like the look of it for reporting and trending etc.

I have downloaded the 50 tag free version, and started working my way through the getting started file. When I am setting up the communication path to my ControlLogix PLC's there is no option in the drop down box for these type of processors, only SLC's or PLC 5's.

I am now assuming that I need to use the SLC mapping function in all of my CLX PLC's.

I just want to make sure I have got it correct and not missing the obvious before I start re-writing code.

Thanks

Mark

IGSS and ControlLogix

Hello,

When you configure the system in System Configuration, you have to select the correct driver for communiation. There is a long list of drivers to choose from.

If you can't find the driver you need there, contact 7T and ask them if they can help you.

Andreas

Andreas,

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked for the driver but can only find the drivers for PLC 5 or the SLC's.

I have e-mailed technical support and am awaiting their reply.

Mark

Andreas,

I hadn't seen that link, and looking at it sort of confirms my suspicions that I will need to use the SLC mapping in RSLogix5000.

Mark

Well just for a quick update.

I have mapped my PLC tags using the SLC mapping tool, but still nothing. I have got the driver to run but when I look at the driver log file it is trying to read the tags, but the error I am getting is showing as an unknown error.

I have been in contact with IGSS and hopefully we can find a solution.

Mark

I looked at the list above and it shows RSLinx as an option.
Under Driver Info it shows SLC 5000 which I assume is a typo and they mean ControlLogix.
You need the OEM or better version.
Try that, Steve.

I am just testing the system at the moment so I don't want to pay for the license just yet.

I have set up the driver and there is no option for a ControlLogix only the SLC 500, so I assumed if I use the mapping (just like the old panelviews) it would work.

I have set the RSLinx driver and I know that it is working because it starts and polls the correct channel.

I have emailed IGSS with the driver log and the only response I have had seems to me as if they have never tried to connect ControlLogix or CompactLogix to their system.

I am awaiting their response.

Mark

Mark, have you had a look at Ignition from Inductive Automation? My buddy here replaced our RSSQL data collection system with it and it has been working flawlessly for several months. We aren't using their vision module (SCADA graphics) yet, but the set up for it versus RSSQL to grab data from various PLCs and send to database tables was apparently very slick and easy for him. We are all A/B (SLCs, (1)PLC-5, few Logix), but I think they have drivers for most common platforms fully tested.

Okie,

I have downloaded Ignition, and I have got the drivers set up for reading information from SLC's, CLX's and Siemens stuff, and all works well, and the look and feel for it is exactly what I am looking for.

I now have to learn some SQL stuff. My knowledge on SQL is scarce at best, and I kind of wanted to pick something up and run with it, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and look for some courses in SQL.

I have spoken to our IT department, and to be honest they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Mark

Well I bit the bullet, locked myself in a dark room where no-one could find me, turned my phone off and began reading.

After 3 hours I had got Ignition sending tag information to a SQL server and then around 2 hours later was having a ball, sending queries, trending data and all the usual SCADA stuff.

Can I just say that if anyone is looking for a good SCADA system then take a look at Ignition.

After just playing around with it and getting a feel for what it can, I haven't found anything that it can't do.

Seriously if you are as frustrated as me with FactoryTalk and its inabilities to do anything you want it to, then Ignition is the way to go. I for one will be replacing all of my SE stuff and when a panelview goes bad, (which will happen) I will be replacing it with a PC or a panel PC and loading ignition on it.

The support I have had from Inductive Automation has been excellent (even though I am 9 hours in front of them), the knowledge base they have is top notch and free, and if you are still stuck they have a forum......all of it free.

I can't tell you how impressed I am, and I have only scratched the surface, my purchase requisition is going in today.

Mark