USB - HART Recommendations

Bob O

I’m thinking about purchasing a USB-HART modem and looking for recommendations. Currently I have been working with E&H and have been fortunate to have them all connected to a 1756-IF8H which allowed me to configure them using FieldCare. In one application the device was connected to a Prosoft card but I just took a rack set-up with a IF8H for configuration.
I assume at some point I will have the pleasure of working with other HART devices.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated,
Bob O

Thanks...I had seen both of those and have a quote coming in for the E&H.
I am buying this for myself so looking for affordable price but needs to be reliable device.

Thanks Again,
Bob O

I was quoted $550 and have fieldcare that is shipped with the instrumentation. The price difference jumps out between E&H and the Procom.

$550 is in the ball park to what i paid in UK. I have used it with many E&H (our standard) but have not tried it with other gear.

I have been looking at the free Pactware because I need to look at a honeywell DP sensor in a few weeks and I see Honeywell have DTMs for Pactware

ACS Inc My understanding is that you can add in DTMs from other manuafacturers but I have not tried it. I am leaning towards Pactware for that. If you dont have the DTM I believe Fieldcare will open a simple default window with much reduced functionality (zero span and actual value)

Cheers

Last edited:
I have a client who uses the E&H version of Pactware and he had to buy a license to enable the use of a Siemens DD in for that version of Pactware.

Pactware has a generic HART driver for the ~8 common HART commands, but use more HART functionality than the common HART commands requires the device specific DD, and for the E&H version, that was a licensing situation.

The conclusion I draw to the question, "Does Fieldcare communicate with all HART devices?" is
yes, it does the 7 or 8 or 9 common (generic) HART commands, but for extended HART command use beyond those a license is needed.

The one thing to make sure of is if the modem comes with drivers/software, that's where the price difference usually is. Ive got the one from procomsol and like it.

So the procomsol has a universal set of DTM's for most major suppliers as part of the package? If so it is probably good value.

If the OP is a E&H guy then the E&H is best for his pocket because the E&H software for configuring their own gear is free.

Interesting topic.

I have only worked with E&H but at some point will have to work with another type device I would assume.