AB550 Panelview woes

308sparks

I am trying to connect an AB550 panelview with a RS232(DH485)port to my already existing DH485 network. The comm lite on the panelview blinks but the fault lite is off. I am trying to upload the program that is currently in the panelview. I am using a PIC that is connected to my computers' serial port as the AB manual states you must use a PIC driver to communicate with the panelview. I have tried to connect to the panelview using null modem cables to an AIC plus that is on the 485 network but I cannot get the panelview to upload and I am not sure if my cabling is correct or what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please give us the complete catalog number of your PanelView. I am a little confused about which PV you have.

Use a straight thru cable between the PV and the AIC. See pdf below

Baud rates must be the same and node addresses must be different.

Last edited:
Mickey:
The panelview number is 2711-K5A5, FRN 3.13. Does the panelview need to be connected to a PLC to upload what is in there now? There is a conveyor screen which comes up as soon as the P.V. is powered up. I cannot see the P.V. on the DH485 network and I have looked in all the AB Panelview manuals I can find to see if they show exactly how the Panelview should be connected to a DH485 network. The panelview has only one RS232 port, no printer port. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does the panelview need to be connected to a PLC to upload what is in there now?

No

You can connect to the PV's RS232 port from your PC using a straight thru cable. ( see my previous post above). Then using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. You will need a real serial port to use this driver. See PDF below for more on this driver.

If you don't have a real serial poprt the a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) will work. Or use a memory card to uplaod/download the PV's program.