4-wire RTD PT100 ohm to three wire device?

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi friends I got a PT100 Ohm RTD Automation Direct part number
RTD0100-10-010-H .How in this case would I connect the RTD to a 3 wire device being an AB 931H-P2C1D-DC Active converter.

Use 3 of the 4 wires.

It doesn't matter which one you don't use, just make sure that the resistance element gets wired between the two 'resistance element' terminals and the remaining compensating wire goes to compensating terminal.

Hey Guys the converter states that the PT 100 Ohm probe should be of rage 0-100 C. I'm having a hard time finding a probe in that range, will a rtd probe of a higher range not give a true reading of temperature.

The Pt100 RTD is a standard, and the standard range is way beyond 100 C. (850C, I think).
If its a Pt100 probe, it should be good to beyond 100C, unless, of course, the probe is made of wax or plastic. :)

I get what you are saying, but why the range is specified to be 0 to 100C, schematic posted in Post #2

I get what you are saying, but why the range is specified to be 0 to 100C, schematic posted in Post #2

Because they made the assumption that you were only wanting to measure water temperatures and not ice or steam.

The schematic may have been part of an article talking about water temperatures

The RTD to mA or Volts is the part that normally has the range scale supplied.

Last edited:

Hi Adam:

As Gil47 said, the PT100 is good over a wide range of -200°C to 850°C. See attached Chart link.

http://www.michshur.com/image/users/190375/ftp/my_files/Files/TD_TV_PT1A.pdf?id=8609087

The Converter converts the PT100 Resistance to a 4-20 mA Signal. In other words, it is scaling it for you. I have Converters that I can Program to any Valid Range. In this case, your Converter is set up to give you 4 mA for 0°C and 20 mA for 100°C. This is a pretty standard measurment range, and takes you from ice to boiling water. If you need a different measurement range, you will need to order a different Converter, or a Programmable one.

Stu....

Hey Guys the converter states that the PT 100 Ohm probe should be of rage 0-100 C. I'm having a hard time finding a probe in that range, will a rtd probe of a higher range not give a true reading of temperature.
As said earlier, there should be no problem using an RTD with a greater range.

The only caveat is there RTD's with two different coefficients, usually called alpha. The standard DIN RTD has an alpha of 0.00385 ohm/ohm/degC and nominally 100 ohms (hence PT 100). There are some RTDs with an alpha of 0.00392. So both the RTD and convertor should be designed for the same curve. Over 0 to 100 the difference is probably negligible, but you should know there is a difference.

Last edited: