Difference between PLC series.

jgrayson

Hello all,
I was refered to your site by a work colleague, I hope you can help.

I need to find out the differences (if any) between 2711-K9C1 series A and series C.

If possible, I'd like to also know how to find this information myself in the future (teach a man to fish style).

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John.

Welcome to the Forum !

Allen-Bradley uses the Series letter to distinguish between hardware revisions or major functional revisions of a product. Devices that are of the same Series are generally identical replacements for one another.

Unfortunately this is not a firm principle.

Sometimes a Series letter designates a major functional change to a product but has no bearing on the physical construction or components.

Sometimes a Series letter designates a component change but not change in functionality.

And sometimes it's both.

With the PanelView Standard products, I think that the Series letters are roughly equivalent to the Major Firmware revisions. The Series A terminal would be a late 1990's unit, and Series C some years later. I do know that all PanelView 900 terminals are firmware-upgradeable, so the only important difference is the age of the hardware.

To Ken,
Thanks very much for your advice. I thought this question might not be a simple answer, but I was hoping.

I've been trying to find specific literature to the different series parts (without success). I guess all our customer needs to know is that the series will do the same job and (hopefully) use the same code.