Connecting SIEMENS CPUs together ??

mosama

Dear all,

I have a basic question about SIEMENS PLCs:
How to exchange data between two CPUs for PROFIBUS and PROFINET CPUs??

Thank you

Thanks "adfox" for this very quick response What about PROFINET?? Also for Direct Data Exchange service, is this available for all CPUs or only limited to some CPUs??

Profinet is essentially ethernet (just an industrial version). If the PLC has 'PN' in it's title then it is has a Profinet port. If not then you would have to buy a separate module.

DP in the title means Profibus. So, for example, a CPU 315 2-DP/PN has both a profibus and profinet port.

;-)

I understand this, what I need to know is how to exchange data between two PROFINET CPUs?? Is there a service like direct data exchange for PROFINET?? Thank you

I am very new to this website and not very familiar with posting so please have patience. To transfer data between two Siemens PLC’s. I use the “GET” command. There is also the “PUT” command. They do not go together. You either “GET” the data or “PUT” the data. It is not getting it one place and putting it someplace else. Each “GET” has to have its own instance DATA block. I use a one second clock pulse to trigger the GET. The ID number on the GET such as W#16#3 is the number for the PLC you are getting the DATA from. With the 3 being the third active connection partner set up in Net Pro for the PLC running the GET. ADDR_1 on the input to the GET is the DATA block and number of bytes from that block on the remote PLC. RD_1 is where you want the data to go in the PLC that is executing the GET. I hope I understood your question because this is too much typing. Hope this helps.

Thanks SCADA Dude10
I know you can use functions and exchange data through programming. What I was asking about is there a service that can handle the data exchange without programming, just configuration.
For example, in Schneider Electric's PAC there is a service called I/O Scanning that is used to scan remote I/Os just by configuring the data required from these remote units
Is there a service like this in SIEMENS PLCs??

Thanks SCADA Dude10
I know you can use functions and exchange data through programming. What I was asking about is there a service that can handle the data exchange without programming, just configuration.
For example, in Schneider Electric's PAC there is a service called I/O Scanning that is used to scan remote I/Os just by configuring the data required from these remote units
Is there a service like this in SIEMENS PLCs??

Mayby 'Global Datacommunication' with an MPI-network is something what you can use like the system your talking about, but it is not Profibus or Profinet;

With an MPI-network, you connect only Siemens S7 cpu's with each other by using their programmingport and the same connectors and cable as with Profibus. In the Simatic Manager you need to configure where the data is comming from and where it is going to. For an S7-300 there can be 4 GD-loops with 22 bytes of data.S7400: 16 GD-loops and max 54 bytes of data. Maximum 15 plc's.

You can use a Program called IMAP. It allows Profinet Device to send Data Back and forth with programming. Even provides status so you won't need to write your own watchdog etc.

Easy to send all types of data sizes or arrays at different update speeds. Works great (but you need IMAP)

Unless you got a lot of different PLC's I wouldn't bother. Send/Receives or GET/PUTS(Need at least one S7-400 to do this) are easy and very stable. Their are example projects in Step 7 that do this as well as a good manual.

In a nutshell:
1. Setup the connection in NetPro for the two CPU's and Download the config to each CPU.
2. Decided whether you do GET/PUT (One Sided Program) or Send/Recv and write small code.
3. As a tip you might want to wipe out Receiving data side if you get no comm.

Here is a link to a great manual: http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/20982954

Mayby 'Global Datacommunication' with an MPI-network is something what you can use like the system your talking about, but it is not Profibus or Profinet;

With an MPI-network, you connect only Siemens S7 cpu's with each other by using their programmingport and the same connectors and cable as with Profibus. In the Simatic Manager you need to configure where the data is comming from and where it is going to. For an S7-300 there can be 4 GD-loops with 22 bytes of data.S7400: 16 GD-loops and max 54 bytes of data. Maximum 15 plc's.

Thank you

You can use a Program called IMAP. It allows Profinet Device to send Data Back and forth with programming. Even provides status so you won't need to write your own watchdog etc.

Easy to send all types of data sizes or arrays at different update speeds. Works great (but you need IMAP)

Unless you got a lot of different PLC's I wouldn't bother. Send/Receives or GET/PUTS(Need at least one S7-400 to do this) are easy and very stable. Their are example projects in Step 7 that do this as well as a good manual.

In a nutshell:
1. Setup the connection in NetPro for the two CPU's and Download the config to each CPU.
2. Decided whether you do GET/PUT (One Sided Program) or Send/Recv and write small code.
3. As a tip you might want to wipe out Receiving data side if you get no comm.

Here is a link to a great manual: http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/20982954

Thank you very much... this is perfect (y)