In my upcoming project the customer needs
“alarm and protection indications, including “
· DC voltage faulty
· Overload
· Short circuit protection operated
· Overload protection operated
· Earth fault protection operated

From the ACB “AIR CIRCUIT BREAKER”
This is the device from which I will receive RS485 signall from.
ftp://ftp.moeller.net/DOCUMENTATION/AWB_MANUALS/h1622en.pdf
I need these signal to be communicated with allen Bradley plc . so which communication module should I have to use
It will be around 24 breakers which I have to connect to one PLC
Any advice or suggestion please . I don’t know how to proceed .

Thanks in advance .

Which AB PLC are you using? I believe most of the Micrologix, CompactLogix and ControlLogix all support Modbus through their serial ports with the newer firmware.

The MicroLogix and SLC-5/0x controllers do support Modbus RTU protocol through the serial port using MSG instructions, but the CompactLogix and ControlLogix require some complex user logic and I don't recommend that method.

What I would use is a standalone EtherNet/IP to Modbus RTU Master gateway device.

In my opinion the most stable and easiest to use are from ProSoft Technology in California.

The HMS Anybus Communicator RTU is another good device; they even private-label their device to Groupe Schneider.

There are quite a few other EtherNet/IP to Modbus RTU gateway devices on the market. Make sure that you get one that is really compatible with the Allen-Bradley "EtherNet/IP" application protocol, not just one that uses "Ethernet" and "TCP/IP".

The MicroLogix 1400 series B do support MODBUS TCP/IP. Not very well documented bututdoes work. I just did this 2 weeks ago.
If you need an HMI as well you could go with a Red Lion G3 and do the protocol conversion in there as well.

Hi all,
Sorry for the delay in my reply. Thank you all for your time and response.
To Make my question more clear I have made a free hand sketch which I have attached .
I would like to add more information about the project
Number of digital inputs are : 110
Digital Outputs are : 46
Which AB PLC are you using? I believe most of the Micrologix, CompactLogix and ControlLogix all support Modbus through their serial ports with the newer firmware.

I have not yet decided the PLC .Only based on your suggestions I will . I am new to setting communication.

The MicroLogix and SLC-5/0x controllers do support Modbus RTU protocol through the serial port using MSG instructions, but the CompactLogix and ControlLogix require some complex user logic and I don't recommend that method.

What I would use is a standalone EtherNet/IP to Modbus RTU Master gateway device.

In my opinion the most stable and easiest to use are from ProSoft Technology in California.

The HMS Anybus Communicator RTU is another good device; they even private-label their device to Groupe Schneider.

There are quite a few other EtherNet/IP to Modbus RTU gateway devices on the market. Make sure that you get one that is really compatible with the Allen-Bradley "EtherNet/IP" application protocol, not just one that uses "Ethernet" and "TCP/IP".

I am thinking of using HMS anybus but still I am not sure .o_O

The MicroLogix 1400 series B do support MODBUS TCP/IP. Not very well documented bututdoes work. I just did this 2 weeks ago.
If you need an HMI as well you could go with a Red Lion G3 and do the protocol conversion in there as well.

Yes Micro logix 1400 seems to support modbus communication but it has very less memory space .any suggestion please .
I want to utilize this as a learning opportunity any advice , help or suggestion from experienced people from you will be of great knowledge for me .

Thanks in advance .

The first attachement is a free hand sketch .
second attachment is the devices from which I will receive the modbus signal data .

HAND DIAGRAM.jpg MMINT.JPG

I'm not positive, but on rs485, I think you can daisy chain all these breakers onto the network and then into the rs485 to ethernet converter and then into the plc. Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm this.

Hi!

Ref your sketch, the unit you are asking about, is just the mMint box. Seems it talks INCOM (never heard about this protocol before) as a Master unit (up to 246 slaves!), and responds to Modbus RTU as a slave unit.

With the Modbus RTU/TCP converter (and a PLC), you should have all neccessary boxes to get your data.

With a grain of salt
Kalle

I've used the mMint together with the Micrologix. Works fine. The mMint is not a data concentrator however so it's not what you'd expect. INCOM protocol is for the old Westinghouse / Cuttler-Hammer smart contactors. The micro-logix had enough room for 32 contactors. There isn't all that much data in there.

Good luck,

(8{)} :) .)

I've used the mMint together with the Micrologix. Works fine. The mMint is not a data concentrator however so it's not what you'd expect. INCOM protocol is for the old Westinghouse / Cuttler-Hammer smart contactors. The micro-logix had enough room for 32 contactors. There isn't all that much data in there.

Good luck,

Can you provide me a sketch of how you connected the mmint to the micro logix please .

I have 25 breakers so should I have to provide each breaker one mMint :confused:?????

How to connect 25 mMint to one micrologix please some idea . or any sketch please .

Thank you all for your time and response:site:

The mMint just translates what you pass through to INCOM. I think that the best thing is to send me a PM and I'll try and dig up the application information.

Each device on the INCOM network = a Modbus station. The connection itself is very simple. The sketch I've got is too big to upload so, again, PM me and we'll email.

The important thing to know is the profile of the device you want to read from. The mapping of the Modbus registers is entirely device dependent. You'll need the exact product information.

Again, PM me and we'll see how I can mail you the code.

Good luck,

(Yosi)

Hi all ,

After reading the documents provided by Mr.yosi I have got an idea about how I should proceed .

Breaker will be connected to incom with IPONI device and these IPONI devices will be connected to MMINT(Modbus) this mmint will be connected to a MODBUS / Ethernet TCPIP converter then this converter is connected to a switch which inturn is connected to PLC .

My doubt I need to get signal(voltage , current) from CIRCUTOR PMU through ethernet connection is it possible ????? (28 PMU )

So 30 nodes have to be connected to one PLC . how to make connection ??? how many switches I have to use ????

which switch should I have to use STRATIX 6000 provided by rockwell has only 8 ports ???

will it work if I use linksys 48 port switch ???????

which one is better manageable or automatic ??????

I have planned to use compactlogix .
My customer needs modular and rack type . compact logix is modular type (which one is rack type ???? )

Please some ideas ,suggestions ,advices any links will be of great help and knowledge to me .

Thanks in advance .

Last edited: