Strange RIO Comms Problem

jkrom

I've been dealing with a very frustrating problem that I hope the PLCS.net team can help with.

This machine is almost seven years old and we have two others that are virtually identical. It uses a PLC5/40 with Flex I/O and a TCP QuickPanel communicating via Remote I/O out of channel 1B @ 230.4k Baud.

About a month ago, seemingly out of nowhere, all of the remote racks started having intermittent faults. Looking at the Channel Status in Logix5, shows the fault status of every single rack going back and forth between faulted and clear ā€“ but the number of retries is slightly different for each rack.

Initially, I replaced all of the blue hose and ran it outside of the cable tray that includes AC power, etc. to prevent noise interference. I also replaced the terminating resistors, checked the power at all of the remote racks and verified tight connections, etc. None of which made any difference to the symptoms.

During troubleshooting, I discovered that when the QuickPanel is disconnected from the RIO, all of the other devices work perfectly. I then tried swapping the QuickPanel with one of the other machines, but the problem did not follow the Quickpanel (i.e. the problem machine still had comm faults with the other HMI and the other machine worked fine with the suspect HMI).

The 5/40 was pretty close to being out of memory (only 75 words left) and I know that sometimes that can cause some strange problems, so I purchased a refurbed 5/60 and swapped it in with the exact same symptoms.

Anybody have thoughts on where to go next? o_O

Thanks,
-Jim Krom

Is the QuickPanel mounted in an enclosure? Is there anything else in the enclosure? If so, try removing it from the enclosure and wiring it up outside.

I know it sounds crazy, but years ago I had a similar problem with DH+. A SLC rack in a fiberglass enclosure, when plugged into the DH+ network, would cause other devices on the network to error out. I replaced everything, one piece at a time. When nothing helped, I assembled a complete duplicate of the SLC system and wired it up with it sitting on top of the enclosure. Problem solved. Mounted the new system in the enclosure and problem returned. Finally resolved the problem by grounding all of the conduits entering the enclosure. One of them carried some cables to a nearby (~3 feet) VFD.

Is the QuickPanel mounted in an enclosure? Is there anything else in the enclosure? If so, try removing it from the enclosure and wiring it up outside.

I know it sounds crazy, but years ago I had a similar problem with DH+. A SLC rack in a fiberglass enclosure, when plugged into the DH+ network, would cause other devices on the network to error out. I replaced everything, one piece at a time. When nothing helped, I assembled a complete duplicate of the SLC system and wired it up with it sitting on top of the enclosure. Problem solved. Mounted the new system in the enclosure and problem returned. Finally resolved the problem by grounding all of the conduits entering the enclosure. One of them carried some cables to a nearby (~3 feet) VFD.

When I originally tried the replacement Quickpanel, it was on a table next to the enclosure. I've also verified grounding of all enclosures and there really isn't anything else in the same console (24VDC I/O only).

Can you put the Quickpanel on another RIO channel? Does RIO have to run at 230K, can it run slower? (I realize the latter is a stretch).

Man, I really wish I would have thought of that! šŸ™ƒ

I just went and set that up - Channel 1B for I/O and 2B for HMI and it works like a charm.

I wish I knew what changed to make that necessary but, for the time being, I'm happy with just having it fixed. (y)

thanks,