SLC 5/05 cant get bootp to work

integralx2

Hey. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? I have a SLC 5/05 controller (1747-L552). I did a factory reset on it. Now I cant assign an IP to it. BootP software (over Ethernet) sees the MAC ID of the controller. When I assign the IP it doesn't boot out. It just hangs up. I do have a flashing red light on FLT. I assumed there a fault cause no ip assigned. I checked the manual information but its not much help. Any help would be great.

how do i clear a fault with serial (rs-232) ? Can I do this through ethernet ? I don't have a serial rs-232 available.

Explain exactly what you mean by "it doesn't boot out. It just hangs up."

In the Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP Utility, check the Network settings to be sure you have an appropriate Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

If you don't need the Gateway, leave it blank, because the Utility will not allow a Default Gateway and an IP Address that aren't on the same Subnet.

What should occur when you create an MAC/IP entry in the Utility is that you'll see the BOOTP request occur once more, then see the Utility send an IP address to the controller.

If you continue to see BOOTP requests from the controller, then there's something wrong with the firewall or another issue with your computer's networking.

One important troubleshooting step you can take is to remove all of the MACID entries from the BOOTP/DHCP Utility's table and watch the BOOTP traffic go by. If you see only one BOOTP request and then no others, it indicates that there's another BOOTP server on your network from which the controller is getting its address. Isolate the controller and your PC from any enterprise network or router and you should get the BOOTP/DHCP Utility to take over that role.

Explain exactly what you mean by "it doesn't boot out. It just hangs up."

In the Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP Utility, check the Network settings to be sure you have an appropriate Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

If you don't need the Gateway, leave it blank, because the Utility will not allow a Default Gateway and an IP Address that aren't on the same Subnet.

What should occur when you create an MAC/IP entry in the Utility is that you'll see the BOOTP request occur once more, then see the Utility send an IP address to the controller.

If you continue to see BOOTP requests from the controller, then there's something wrong with the firewall or another issue with your computer's networking.

One important troubleshooting step you can take is to remove all of the MACID entries from the BOOTP/DHCP Utility's table and watch the BOOTP traffic go by. If you see only one BOOTP request and then no others, it indicates that there's another BOOTP server on your network from which the controller is getting its address. Isolate the controller and your PC from any enterprise network or router and you should get the BOOTP/DHCP Utility to take over that role.

Ok. So I will walk through what I do. I have initially assigned an ip to my laptop (10.0.0.100) , and using subnet 255.255.255.0. I used the same subnet on Bootp/DHCP utility. Now when I turn on the controller my utility does see the mac address. When I assign the ip to that mac address the status area indicates that it was sent. But now when i want to disable bootp so I can get out of bootp it doesnt work. It just fails to send the command.

Thank you for the followup information.

The "Disable BOOTP" button in the Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP Utility is a little bit fickle.

What it does is send an A-B specific message to the CIP "TCP Object" on the controller or module, instructing it to disable the BOOTP/DHCP feature so that it won't re-try BOOTP/DHCP at the next reboot.

Sometimes this fails. I don't know why.

The good news is that you can easily disable BOOTP/DHCP on the module through other means. For SLC and MicroLogix controllers, the easiest way is to download a program that has a static IP address and BOOTP disabled.

For Logix-family controllers with 1756-ENBT and similar modules, you can browse to the EtherNet/IP module in RSLinx Classic and select "Device Configuration" to disable BOOTP/DCHP.

I have an rs-232 cabled finally. How can I clear a fault ? MY rslinx finally sees the controller through rs-232 .

I did that. Then I get a message end saying

"No response from processor at selected path/node

DiagnosticStatus failed : 0x4"