DeviceNet Traffic Analyzer?

jonfarrugia

I have a 1784-PCD devicenet card and I'm looking to capture packets on our devicenet Network.

I have a device that isnt working correctly and I need to prove or disprove that it is failing to transmit the packets correctly. The only way I can do this is to capture the packet information.

I've heard of a piece of software called "DeviceNet Traffic Analyzer" that use to be hosted on AB's site. I cant seem to find it. Does any one have a copy of it or know what software I can use with a 1784-PCD to capture network traffic?

Rockwell Automation discontinued building the 1784-PCD card nearly five years ago, and discontinued development and support of the DeviceNet Traffic Analyzer software as well.

You can still probably get it from a Rockwell Automation field office, or from Technical Support, if you ask nicely.

Frontline Test Equipment's NetDecoder is a fantastic product. They chose to develop only for the USB-based network interfaces for DeviceNet, ControlNet, and DH+/RIO.

Edit: the last 1784-PCD drivers are here: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/pccards/

DNetTA itself isn't on that site, though.

Last edited:
it looks like a great product....but for the amount of times I'd ever use it, its hard to dish out $1000 for the software.

Sometimes the solution is much cheaper than the device to detect the issue in the first place. If you believe that there is an issue with this device, assume for a moment that you have confirmed it. What would the solution be then? What would that solution cost?

I once asked for a Fluke Scope to confirm that I was getting noise on a couple control circuits. The scope at the time was over $15K. My supervisor asked me what I would do once I confirmed that I had a noise issue and my response was to buy isolating transformers for a couple VFD's fed from the same PDC. The cost of 6 isolating transformers at the time was $1400 and they were onsite and installed by the end of the week and it did indeed fix the problem.