You got to love customers

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I just got off the phone with a guy that worked for a company that I build a system for. He works at a different plant that the one I build a system for.

He called and started telling me " You are a F*ck!ng idiot, you can't even build a cable that plugs into this POS Red Lion". I am shocked. What did I do. After I explained to him that NO one talks to me like that and if he wanted this conversation to continue he was going to change his language and tone. I asked him what he was talking about. He said this POS. I interrupted him and told him I wasn't going to listen to that. He started again and said the Red Lion box that I built and sent to them wasn't right. (I build this system at least a year ago and sent it to the other plant. It worked fine when I commissioned it.) The cable doesn't fit in the Data Station. I started thinking someone has broken off the tab that hold the cable in and it is falling out. No not that, the RJ-12 (RS-232) doesn't fit in the RJ-45 (Ethernet) port. How could I ever expect this system to work if I wasn't smart enough to make a cable that fit in the right plug. Then how was it ever going to communicate with the PLC because the Ethernet plug was already taken up my the cable that doesn't fit.

I asked if he had looked at the prints for that system. His reply “ What do you think I am stupid, I can plug a few cable in”. I just about laughed at him. I then explained that the cable he had get plugged in to the RS232 port not the Ethernet port. The PLC get plugged into the Ethernet port. The cables where marked. I made them. He explained that the plug didn't fit so he cut it off and was going to put a new end on it once the IT got there so he could make fix my wiring.

You can't make stuff like this up. Some people are well you can guess.

Drawings? Wire labels? Are you trying to take all the fun out of troubleshooting?

Our jobs are secure, Jeff, we keep idiot proofing and they keep making better and better idiots.

You are correct the new version for idiot comes out about 2 days after we deliver them a new system

I am sorry that you had to put up with such a rude person.
When we call a technician for a problem at work we are always polite, because if you treat someone with respect they are going to be more help then if you are rude to them. I would had hung up on the jerk if he was to treat me that way.
A customer is very important to a company,but if they go over the line by using rude language, it is time to end the conversation. ;)

You all know how it is after a day or 2 of fighting with stuff. I get a little less than pleasant when I haven't slept in day or so. I usually try to think this guy has been up all night working on the problem or has just gotten a butt chewing from the boss. That is why I give them a warning.

most of these problems are ESO problems. Equipment Smarter that the Operator.

When we call a technician for a problem at work we are always polite, because if you treat someone with respect they are going to be more help then if you are rude to them.
Agree totally, I've never understood being a jerk to someone you want to help you. I've been on both sides of the phone call, sometimes as customer and sometimes as vendor, so maybe that helps me empathize with the other guy.

Too bad this guy was such a jerk to Jeff. I feel for the people that have to work with this asshat on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing, Jeff.

I didn't smile, it is too sad because it shouldn't happen.

I thought you guys might get a smile out of it.
I have hung up on people like that.
Anybody that deals with a lot of customers will have stories like that.
There are some customers that seem to go out of their way to make life difficult for themselves and for others around them.

The one I had was very similar, when someone demanded RJ12 "phone plug" cable to program his PLC5/40 because Ethernet cable "does not fit"
After 10 minutes of listening to profanities addressed to me and to the company I work for, I figured out that he was referring to the RJ12 plug on the 1771 power supply in the same chassis... Go figure...

Artificial intelligence will never over come Natural Stupidity.

I think Ron White puts it best....

You can loose a limb, we can get you a prosthetic one and have you running again,

You can break bones, we can fix them,

If you have mental problems theres a pill for that,

If you have issues in the bedroom, theres a pill for that,

etc., etc.,

But one thing is for sure....you can't fix stupid.

-Dave

Last edited: