RX3i with Profinet

sjohnson

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have an IC695CPE305 with a Profinet Module IC695PNC001. I am using a Commander-SK 3400220 Emerson drive with the SM-Profinet solutions Module. I have everything set up to communicate properly. (Which I have little hair Left from pulling on it)The problem I am having when reading and writing a value. The program controls a clipper which calculates speed to reference when where to clip For proper size. The old drive wrote a value let’s say 7345 so the drive interpret it as 73.45 Hertz. The new drive I write 73 hertz I get 73 hertz it is an exact value. I should be able to put 734 into the register and it should display 73.4 on the drive. Since the drive can display 1 decimal point. It reads from the drive the 3 digit value. When I write from the drive to the register from the keypad 73.4 I get 734 in the register.

I can talk to the drive Modbus Tcp with a small HMI and it does what it is supposed to.

I was wondering if anyone ran across this. If it is the way the Profinet writes. Or is there something I am missing as a setting the way it writes.

Reason I kneed this is I can’t control the drive for a proper size to clip ratio with a 1 Hertz increment. I need the decimal value. Thanks

I may not understand exactly what you have but it sounds as though there is a scaling discrepancy in the profinet configuration. Where the two ends are not agreeing on the proper scaling. It could be on either end, no way of telling from here. However if you need the decimal in the controller end it needs to be configured as a REAL. If the drive end is expecting an INTEGER it will need to divide it by 10 for one decimal or 100 for two.
Drive documentation should tell the story.

Thanks Russ, when I set up the output from controller under Settings it says Value in tenths of hertz/rpm. But if I put 6 in the register it displays 6 hertz in the drive. But the Engineer at Control Techniques says it is supposed to be .6 so if I put 66 in the register it should read 6.6. It will read correctly from the drive to the controller. If I enter 6.6 hertz in the drive do a read it will read 66 in the register. When I do the same thing with Modbus it displays both ways correctly. So the dilemma is I can only increment the drive by 1 hertz which is unacceptable. Because of the speed to clip ratio. The drive will do 32 bit read and write but not real numbers just long integers. I do believe you are right it is the way the ProfiNet is scaling or agreeing with each other. I will plug at it again today but I think I have exhausted all my knowledge. I think I have tried everything. I talked to Ken Friberg at GE Intelligent Platforms and he said The controller just reads and writes numbers so he is sure it is with the way the drives profinet is reading. So i'll call Control Techniques again see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.

Thanks again, It was a simple firmware upgrade on the SM-ProfiNet Module as suspected. Is must of been a secret only the engineers at Control techniques knew about. Getting the firmware in my hands was like pulling teeth from a T-REX. But everything is well. So if you use a SM-Solutions module Emerson Make sure it is at least firmware 1.00.03 to display the correct register value in tenths.