FactoryTalk and Oracle

josh_d

Hi guys,

Got a V5.0 FactoryTalk SE project using a factorytalk alarm and event server for alarms.

For alarm history logging in the past I've only ever used microsoft sql express 2005, however this time around the client has specified Oracle for the database software...

Looking for some info/tips on this: First, whether its possible?; and Secondly, perhaps a point in the right direction as how I might go about configuring a factorytalk database to point at an oracle database.

Regards,

Josh

Ouch...this won't be a fun ride.
I'm not sure if this is going to be possible.

I'd probably say, your best bet is simply to use SQL Server Express on the HMI Server, and then use the Oracle (or SQL) programmability to move the data to and from the Oracle DB.

As far as I know, Rockwell doesn't play well with Oracle, expecially anything past the 10g releases. You might be able to make an FTAE -> ODBC -> PI OLEDB -> Oracle bridge, but the thought of it is about to give me a headache.

Use this http://www.oldi.com/controllogix/ to bring alarms directly from the controller or controllers.

This unit sits in a clogix chasis but can poll multiple controllers and then send to oracle. You can log to SQL,Oracle and IBM data bases at the same time.

The module has a base price and the the DB connectors you buy. The module will set you back about 5K.

Programming is simple and you can be logging data to oracle in less than a hour and OLDI will do a webex with you to help get setup.

Here is a link to the How-To videos for setup.http://www.oldi.com/controllogix/demo.aspx